forum My Blood, My Bones (oxo) (open)
Started by @William
tune

people_alt 60 followers

@William

Hi! I'm new to this whole thing but uhhh….I'd like to try it out!

Anyone want to help a religiously traumatized very big man overcome his internalized homophobia and thrive as the gay he was always meant to be?

Our characters are two soldiers in a war. We're specialized paratroopers, some of the best of the best. We're part of Company 18, led by Captain Hodge, a stern, tough man who (spoilers) is 100% dad material and will call you son/daughter/child. Company 18 has been deployed deep behind enemy lines, with the hope of attacking the enemy from the inside, and if we can do it, it would turn the tide of the war. However, this is a very risky mission, and if we fail, all of us die. There is no rescue. We either fight our way out, or we lose.

Who is this enemy you ask? Well wouldn't we like to know. That's incredibly classified information, and all we know is that a rag-tag group of guerilla fighters have essentially taken over the Great Plains area of Midwest America, from the tip of the Dakota's, to New Mexico. Is this a civil war? Foreign invasion? We don't know. All we know is we fight.

My character is 28 year old Buckley Foster. He's been with Company 18 for nearing a decade. Your character is the new recruit, seasoned in your field, but unfamiliar to this specific crew. You barely have time to meet your captain before you're deployed on this mission, and paired with Buck. The two of you are in charge of taking care of each other through the fight, and if you should get separated from the rest of the team, you're to stick to each other like glue until you are either found, or find your own way.

So of course, you get separated. And what else is there to do behind enemy lines than break past old traumas and fall in love just a little bit?

Rules

• Andrews
  • I am new to this. I might be slow replying, because I am going to school full time and have other personal projects.
  • Please have good descriptive length to your replies. Doesn't have to be anything vast, but please avoid single lines of dialogue with no further exposition unless it narratively makes sense to not include much further detail.
  • Let's try to tell an actual story here, so lets check in about plot and other details here and there to keep it moving :)
  • You will be asked to provide a writing sample, and I reserve the right to say no, but it's never anything personal

Character sheets will be posted if someone is interested!

Deleted user

Hey, I’m super into this idea aahgjmwhfkensjgjrnwisngke!! May I join?

@William

Hi! Very nice to meet you.
Can I see a writing sample? Maybe about a paragraph or two, including dialogue and prose?

I am also able to provide one if you would like, I'm not asking so much to test writing skill as to just see if our styles are compatible

Deleted user

Of course! I may take a while since I’m busy right now but I’ll get back soon!

@William

(may I bite?)

Yes certainly! Feel free ^^
If the first person gets back to me by tonight, then they're in, but if not, you can take their place :)

Deleted user

(I probably can’t do this actually so feel free to let the other dude do this! I’ll just stalk lol (: have a nice night!)

@Avhira-The-Eldritch-Horror group

(alright, my character will be named Lilian, perfering Lili, and a trained assassin. not really a warrior, but still good at fighting. she has an uncanny knack for healing faster, even from usually fatal wounds. she's dark skinned, with curley hair and emerald eyes.)
As Lili was waiting in wait behind a trench, she hid a few extra guns in her cloak. she had traded her usual pinks and yellows for the same outfit in green and brown. she smiled fondly as she remembered the time she had just laid down on the ground, and the people on the other side of the field didn't even consider the possibility she wasn't just a pile of leaves and dirt. shaking herself back into her thoughts, she looked around for her partner.

@William

(I probably can’t do this actually so feel free to let the other dude do this! I’ll just stalk lol (: have a nice night!)

Hey thanks for letting me know, take care!

@William

(alright, my character will be named Lilian, perfering Lili, and a trained assassin. not really a warrior, but still good at fighting. she has an uncanny knack for healing faster, even from usually fatal wounds. she's dark skinned, with curley hair and emerald eyes.)
As Lili was waiting in wait behind a trench, she hid a few extra guns in her cloak. she had traded her usual pinks and yellows for the same outfit in green and brown. she smiled fondly as she remembered the time she had just laid down on the ground, and the people on the other side of the field didn't even consider the possibility she wasn't just a pile of leaves and dirt. shaking herself back into her thoughts, she looked around for her partner.

This looks good! I usually prefer a little longer, but only be a sentence or two, does that sound reasonable?
Also, if you have a quick sample with dialogue that would be perfect! If you want you can include it with your character sheet though, I'll get the ref up in a sec.

@William

Name:
Gender: (Bio male at least, this is a gay romance lol but also if your character isn't strictly cis thats fine, just no she/her)
Sexuality: (again, as long as they're attracted to men as well as, I do not care.)
Appearance:
Personality:
Background: (please include some details about the reason they joined the military, and things that can potentially be used for plot later. Anything about their backstory that isn't plot relevant, I'd love to have our characters find out about each other in the rp, but if you need to write it down to remember it, pop off) (Please bear in mind that the company your character has been recruited to specializes in stealth, hand to hand, marksmanship, and just being really freakin tough and hard to kill. If you have any questions, lmk)
Other:

My character:
Name: Buckley Ryan Foster (Buck)
Sexuality: Gay, but…you won't know it, man's flying faaar under the gaydar. Gay in a ghillie suit. You'd never pick him out from the straights
Appearance: He's 6' 10", built like a mountain, and specializes in the dark stare. He wears full military gear, meaning you don't get to see his face that much, but his eyes are very rich brown, and when you do get a look at his face, you can see he has dark reddish brown hair in a classic fade, and the start of some worry lines along his brow. Not anger lines. Worry lines.
Personality: He's very sweet. He's also very awkward. Not overtly friendly at first, but if you just ignore his grumpy exterior, he'll warm right up to you. He's an extrovert. Even if he doesn't like you, he'll always treat you fairly and with respect, even if said respect is…grumpy. Quiet, but talks in full sentences. People either feel very safe around him, or very very frightened of him, and that is between them and God, he's the same person either way. He can be bossy, but takes orders more than gives them.
Background: Buck was raised conservative evangelical Christian, God-fearing, government hating, the whole nine yards. He is none of those things (Except Christian, but that's out of fear, and a want to believe he can be "fixed"). He dropped out of college to join the army, and very quickly got recruited by company 18, who eventually convinced him to cut contact with his family. He only communicates with his youngest brother anymore.
Other: Do Not Touch Him, he is not okay with that. Also he's touch starved. (Go on, give him a friendly pat on the shoulder, he needs it).

@William

(i dont have any male characters that can be adjusted this way, sorry!)

Is the issue the male character aspect, or what part is the issue? Perhaps we can make it work even so

@William

(ahhh see this was originally advertised as needing two male characters I assumed that wouldn't be an issue. Thanks anyway)

@William

(I might… MIGHT.. be able to figure out how to shift them into a feminine man. or genderfluid)

(If so, I'd be happy to have you! As long as they are bio male and mostly id as male, that is all that matters. They are welcome to have secondary pronouns or a more fluid sense of gender. The original love interest in buck's actual story technically goes by any pronouns, just uses he/him for himself)

@Avhira-The-Eldritch-Horror group

Name: Loid Somoth
Sexuality: unlabeled, likes people
Appearance: dark skin, emerald eyes, curly, shoulder-length hair.
Personality: super gender neutral personality. kind of hostile, sarcastic, and fierce.
Background: an orphan taken in by a group of assassins, he got hired for a job in the government and was assigned to the military to help.
Other: nothing comes to mind..

@William

(I like him! Out of curiosity, how tall is Loid? Also can you add preferred pronouns, especially with being gender fluid?)

@William

ahh very nice I love them

As far as getting started, your character will have just joined company 18, so if you'd like we can start right when your boots hit the ground at HQ? If that sounds good I'll throw up a starter to get you oriented.