tune

people_alt 72 followers

@Tired-but-passionate

Name: Indigo Umbra
Nicknames: Indi, though few call them that
Titles: none
Species: half Fae, half human
Gender and Sexuality: non-binary (she/they) greysexual biromantic
Looks: She stands at about 5’8 with a slim, willowy frame and pale olive complexion, a few small beauty marks here and there. Their facial features are soft, even their slightly pointed ears. Her large eyes are a dark, brownish-purple color, and their hair is short and fluffy, the color of lilac. They’ve always been known for their long limbs and fingers. Usually wears a binder underneath a white chiton that goes just above the knees, with a gray poncho-like garment over that.
Personality: Indigo sometimes appears to be rather robot-like, no emotion and doing what they’re supposed to do. In some ways, this is true, but it’s mainly a way to cope with her circumstances. She’s a quiet soul, not really feeling the need to express themself externally. Though, when scrolls or books are involved, they are very curious and intrigued. Knowledge is indeed her drug of choice. Rather calculating and logical, but also kind-hearted. They also have a rather sassy, teasing side to them, but that’s not a good thing to have when you’re a slave, so it rarely shows itself. Currently very intrigued in medicine and alchemy, as well as sewing and weaving.
Magic?: they did inherit some magical ability from her Fae mother, mainly bioluminescent skin and some light manipulation
Likes: learning new things, reading/writing, quiet, candlelight, rain, the smell of old paper and lemons, solving problems
Dislikes: loud noises, being punished, stupid people, bright lights, the smell of rotten fruit and eggs, whenever her enslavers are having a bad day
Backstory: Indigo was born to a human father and Fae mother, the wife of a wealthy merchant. She was declared illegitimate not long after being conceived, and her father raised them for most of their childhood. Their father also was a slave to the merchant’s family, working in the kitchens and serving food, so Indigo was raised to do the same. When they were around 12 or so, they were moved to serve the young, fully Fae daughter of the family, who eventually married a member of the king’s court. Indigo began seeing a lot more of the palace as a result.
Ever since they were young, the’ve been fascinated with the idea of being a scholar or alchemist, but being a nerd is hard when you’re a slave. There would be many nights where she would sneak into the library to read or write, and sometimes they would be caught, which resulted in a lot of beatings and her writings to be destroyed. They have tried to sneak into the palace’s library a few times, but without success.
Theme song(s): “Boreas” by The Oh Hellos, “The Things You Keep From Me” by Benjamin James, “Mindful” by Tow’rs, “No Lullaby” by SIAMES, “The Weight of Us” by Sanders Bohlke
Other: Indigo was originally meant to be a D&D character, a half-elf sorcerer, but since it’s highly unlikely I’ll be playing D&D anytime soon, might as well develop her some more through rping

@ElderGod-Icefire

(aw I love her! Thanks! Now we gotta figure out how her and Riven meet/clash/get stuck together. I'm kinda picturing some kinda thing where she ends up working for him somehow?? idk)

@ElderGod-Icefire

(np! Makes sense, makes sense. I'm just not sure how that would happen, since Riven isn't really the kind of person to just,,, buy a slave)

@ElderGod-Icefire

(ooh maybe! Also I think I talked about this before but I'm definitely going for more of an enemies to lovers type of thing, and like,, sassy and mean and sarcastic and stuff lmao, idk. Maybe they keep bumping into each other and just,,,,, arguing. every time. Oooooh maybe they get into a public argument/fight at some point and so as punishment (for both of them lmao) she gets given to Riven?)

@ElderGod-Icefire

Riven Briar was lounged sideways across his throne, a loose white shirt and a pair of dark pants on. The shirt gapped halfway down his torso, exposing smooth skin. The silver glitter of a fae drug glinted on his fingers and at the corners of his mouth, and a glass of wine was held lazily in his left hand. The gold of his circlet glinted from his dark curls, and the earrings in his ears sparked with each shift of his head. Dark kohl lined his eyelids, along with a spark of gold eye-shadow. The party tonight was similar to any other; not all of the royal family was there, but many of them were. Riven was, as usual, the center of attention of many of the younger party-goers, each of them casting covert glances at the young, handsome prince. Human slaves waited in the shadows for a master or mistress's summons.

Riven eventually moved from his throne, making his way through the crowd to where a group of his friends laughed and chatted. He was immediately let into their circle, grins and mischievous words greeting him as he gave them a lazy, feline smile, the slightly sharp canines of any Fae flashing as he bared his teeth.

"–Riven, you should have been there to see. It was quite amusing." one of the Fae finished a story, a sharp grin on his own face as he spoke of a human he had ensorcelled and tricked, sending many of their small group into laughter. Humans were no better than animals, and there were hardly any laws regulating their treatment. After all, those with the power can do whatever they like to those without it, and there was no question but that the Fae had power and the humans…well. The humans did not.

@Tired-but-passionate

Indigo stared at the scattered crowd, trying to look for an opening. No one seemed to care about them right now; no one seemed to be watching them. But people were everywhere. It would still be difficult to escape unnoticed. If they could just-
“Indigo. One of those fruit plates. Now.”
She looked down to where the voice was coming from. Olympia Thistlewell had draped herself across a cushion, staring after her husband, Zephyr, who was laughing with a group of Fae some distance away. Her gaze was all at once annoyed, cold, and sad. Indigo wasted no time in catching a human maidservant carrying trays of fruit, cheese, wine, and the like. They took a plate, and offered it to Olympia.
A few moments passed before she spoke. “Indigo. I said fruit. What part of that did you not understand?”
She blinked. It was just then that she realized the plate held cheese and bread.
“I- I’m sorry, miss,” they stuttered. “I was- I was distracted-“
“What are you talking about? Just get me another one, with fruit this time. Quickly, now.”
Indigo rushed back to the maidservant and switched out the plates, then returned to Olympia’s spot. Olympia sat up and took the plate from them, and popped a strawberry into her mouth. She was technically Indigo’s half-sister, but of course, she didn’t acknowledge it. Indigo had been cut off from the family a long time ago. Serving one of its members for over ten years didn’t change that.

@ElderGod-Icefire

With Riven and his group of friends, there was his close few, and then the hangers-on, the ones that were there for parties but not generally much else. Zephyr was one of those; accepted in the group, but not one of the ones closest to the youngest of the five princes. Dusk Thenius, Marrow Zellus, Gaius Harmani, and two or three others made up that group, and Dusk was the one currently speaking, a wicked grin spread over his face as he lounged back against a pillar, popping a grape into his mouth.

Riven's own lips twisted into a smirk as he conversed with his friends, golden eyes wandering the crowd for a moment before returning to the group. "Zephyr, your darling wife looks so bored." he said, not caring that he was interrupting someone else's words. "Have you left her with only a slave for company? And not even a remarkably attractive one, either." his words were cutting, his eyes half-lidded as he watched Olympia and Indigo. Riven was known well enough for his debauchery, and for the fact that he didn't care if someone was married; he would pursue them regardless. This tendency was likely one he had inherited from his father. Like father, like son, after all.

@Tired-but-passionate

Zephyr had been simply listening to the conversation, a low chuckle on his lips when he heard the prince’s voice. The chuckle quickly died as he turned to look over at Olympia, and he seemed to be resisting the urge to scoff.
“I thought I left her with the other noblewomen,” he said. “This was… this was supposed to be a time where we could take a break from each other. I don’t know why she’s alone.” His voice quieted as he spoke. He’d rather be talking about anything but this.

Indigo had just returned to scanning the crowd when they caught Olympia’s voice again. They held back a sigh.
“Well? Go get him.” She chewed on another strawberry.
“You mean Lord Thistlewell, miss?” She tucked a lock of hair behind their ear.
“Who else would I be referring to? Now go, I’m lonely.”
Indigo looked back at the group of Fae, their brow furrowing slightly. She wanted to ask why Olympia couldn’t go to him herself, but instead she said, “He seems to be conversing with the young Prince Riven, miss, are you sure?”
“Oh, the prince won’t miss him.”
So Indigo, hesitant at first, made her way over to the group. Zephyr, meanwhile, had caught sight of them and cringed.

@ElderGod-Icefire

"I see." Riven replied. "Perhaps she bored of their company. You are, after all, her husband." Divorce was accepted among the fae, so long as both parties desired it, and so Riven saw no reason for Zephyr and Olympia to be involved unless they wanted to be involved with each other. His eyes lighted on Indigo, and he raised an eyebrow. "My, what an unattractive duckling you are." He said, loud enough that she could hear him, his lips curled in a cruel, lazy smile. "Have they plucked you from the wastebin and wrapped you in an old bedsheet?"

(He is a mean little asshole and I am sorry)

@Tired-but-passionate

(I expect nothing less from him lol)
(Zephyr: I just wanna spend time with the bros!)

“Yes, but…” Zephyr trailed off as Indigo approached.
Indigo glanced indifferently in Riven’s direction. They have been called worse things. “Your Highness.” They greeted him with a simple head bow, then turned to Zephyr. “Lady Olympia is asking for you, Lord.”
Zephyr groaned under his breath. He could hear some of his friends snickering behind him. “Just… tell her to let me at least finish a conversation first before I join her.”
Indigo raised an eyebrow. “She won’t be pleased if you delay-“
“Shut up. I know that. Just go tell her.”
She closed her mouth and turned to leave.

@ElderGod-Icefire

(lol good)
(hnngkdj basically)

A smirk played over Riven's mouth. He didn't seem bothered by the way Indigo had ignored him; he didn't really care whether or not a mere human slave reacted to the things he said. He said them because he was idle and bored and nothing more. A response was not something he particularly needed nor cared about. He was perfectly content not to be acknowledged.

@Tired-but-passionate

Indigo was right. Olympia wasn’t pleased. She began eating her fruit with more vigor, occasionally forgetting to take a moment to breathe.
“Men,” she said bitterly, her voice muffled by the food.
Indigo held their limbs close to their body, rather nervous. “S-slow down, miss. Um, would you like me to ask Lady Diana to keep you company?”
The Fae woman shook her head, but slowed in her eating. “No, I need his company. Plus, I need to speak with him about something. Just tell him that.”
“Yes, miss.” Indigo turned to go back to Zephyr’s group, still holding her limbs close and wishing they weren’t the literal middle man in the situation.

@ElderGod-Icefire

Riven narrowed his eyes when Indigo returned again. "You dull creature, back again? Haven't you already communicated your mistress's wishes to Zephyr? Begone." He waved a hand, the fae drugs glittering on his fingers. He hadn't taken that much, but his pupils were already slightly blown and his smile seemed ill-fitted to his face. "You bore us already and you have yet to open your mouth."

@Tired-but-passionate

Indigo held back another sigh. Not looking at Riven, she replied, “Well Your Highness, I’m not here to entertain, am I?”
Strangely, they didn’t feel very intimidated by the prince like other slaves might’ve been. They could see he was under the influence of fae drugs, and his jabs were very familiar. His words did not mean much, though the amount of words he spoke could be annoying if this keeps up.
She kept her focus on Zephyr. “Lord, your wife merely wanted me to inform you that she is in need of your company, and that she had something she wanted to discuss with you. It sounded rather important.”
Zephyr was tight-lipped at first. Then he murmured, “Perhaps I could join you fellows later?” A few of his friends laughed and clapped him on the back, and then he moved away from the group and joined Olympia. Neither of them seemed to need Indigo anymore, so they stood there for a second, a little unsure what to do. Remembering herself, she moved to her own small isolated corner, watching the crowd for a way to leave the room.

@ElderGod-Icefire

Most of the group bade Zephyr farewell, adding that he was welcome to return if his wife let him. This group was not, perhaps, the kindest, but they weren't awful. At least, not to fellow Fae within their group. Anyone outside of it, especially humans, was fair game to them, like Indigo was.
"Ri, you aren't going to let that human's insult stand, are you?" Marrow queried, arching an elegant eyebrow as they looked over at Riven. Marrow was one of the few people Riven allowed to use his nickname, and they quietly reveled in that small show of favor. After all, whether or not Riven ever took the throne, he was still the prince, and that meant power.
Riven returned Marrow's look, eyes sliding over to Indigo before returning to his friend. "I've not seen them around before, Mare. I'll give them a chance to prove themself. After all, it's only fair." he reached out to take a small container from a passing servant; fae wine, more drugs floating inside of it. Most Fae drugs were edible or could be smeared on the skin; it was seen as the easiest way to partake in it, rather than needles or through the nose. Edible and lovely.

@Tired-but-passionate

Indigo leaned against the wall, playing with her fingers. Now their situation had reversed. They could see many places where they could slip away unnoticed, but as Olympia and Zephyr spoke, they kept glancing back at Indigo. Perhaps she was the important subject they were discussing. The thought made her frown and furrow her brow. She wasn’t completely ignorant to the fact that Olympia was getting tired of them and was most likely looking for a replacement, and Indigo would be fine with that if not for the uncertainty of what would happen after they were replaced.
She could see Zephyr get up to leave, but Olympia pulled him back. They seemed to have moved on to other topics. Perhaps if they left now…

@ElderGod-Icefire

The drugs looked like fine silver glitter, hovering suspended in the deep red of the Fae wine. Riven took a sip, wiping his mouth when he was done, leaving a smear of silver and red on the back of his fine-boned hand, long fingers curved faintly but holding nothing. His mouth curved in a smile at something someone said, mouth parting in a quick, sharp laugh. He finished the wine eventually, setting the cup aside for a slave to pick up and clean.

@Tired-but-passionate

This would be doomed from the start, they knew. Someone would eventually realize they were missing, they would be caught, and then there would be consequences. But the urge was too strong to resist. Indigo had to see the inside of that library. Revel in the glory of the written word, marvel in the sheer volume the shelves could hold. She just had to avoid being caught before she even got there.
No one seemed to be watching them. No one even looking vaguely in their direction. A clear path to the exit the room. Indigo murmured a small prayer to the gods, then moved to exit the room. They kept their footsteps light but purposeful, as if she was merely on an errand for her mistress.