forum commission prices?
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 53 followers

Deleted user

so recently someone asked if they could commission a piece from me. i don't know what reasonable prices are for like. just a head + shoulders vs. full body or coloured vs. just shaded. i don't really understand money lol
if anyone is willing to give me suggestions that'd be great-

@moss

I don't understand money either but people have told me around $20-30 is for a bust and $40-50 for a full body and then you can add or subtract the price based on things like shading, color, backgrounds, or how complex a drawing is. Also I've heard to consider how long it takes you and how much you want to be paid per hour.

@The-Magician group

I’ve set up my commissions so that it’s by the hour, and different requests are at different prices.
I’ve set it like this because, for example, one headshot may take longer than another headshot and I would want to be paid for the amount of time taken because I’ve put more of my time into it.
It all depends on how you work!

@StarryWolfy flash_onCrazy Procrastinator

You could have a base price for each type of photo and then a rate per hour of work?
So like.. a full body portrait could cost 20 bucks, then $3 for every hour spent working on it? (So if it took you 3 hours to do that portrait you'd be paid 29 dollars?)
idk I don't do professional art but it's an idea…

Deleted user

Without an online artist's labor Union, it's really up to what the client is willing to pay, in agreement with what you're willing to charge.

A few years ago I saw a post going around that claimed the very minimum should be $25 (USD) for even a sketch or for flatting color.

What I've seen is $5 for a "profile pic" of a character, $10 for a "bust" or half body, $15 for full-body and all only black-and-white sketches. Add on $5 to each for a flat color, and add another $5 to the total flat-color price to add full coloring with highlights and shading.

I'm less experienced with how people price for backgrounds and/or scenery, reference sheets, concept designs, etc.

Deleted user

You could have a base price for each type of photo and then a rate per hour of work?
So like.. a full body portrait could cost 20 bucks, then $3 for every hour spent working on it? (So if it took you 3 hours to do that portrait you'd be paid 29 dollars?)
idk I don't do professional art but it's an idea…

wait i really like this idea
also thank you to everyone who suggested smth :))