Started by @EtherealDreamer
tune

people_alt 82 followers

@EtherealDreamer

"I'm scared
It feels like you don't care
Enlighten me, my dear
Why am I still here?"

It's December in the city of Chicago. Circa 1993, a bombing of a news building creates a fiasco in the city, as well as throughout the world. Many died, Character A ends up saving Character B by pulling him from the rubble of the newly destroyed news building, where they simultaneously worked side by side for three years without even noticing. Both non-white citizens trying to make the news more about racial profiling or dreadful crimes committed against people of color.

I don't mean to be complacent with the decisions you made
But why?
"

Character A refuses to leave Character B to ride in the ambulance alone.
He stays with Character B until he wakes up and even then, Character A cannot seem to understand why it hurts him to think of leaving Characters B's side.

"In the back of my mind
You died
And I didn't even cry
No, not a single tear.
"

This is a roleplay of young men, whose lives were changed while they were trying to make the world more educated on the topic of colored people and their struggles.
They, as men of color who also both turn out to be part of the LGBTQ+ community, have developed a bond far deeper and stronger than the two of them ever dreamed, all because of a psychopath who bombed a news building to stop a story from getting out.

"And
I'm
sick
of
waiting
patiently
for
someone
that
won't
even
arrive.
"

I prefer to be character B, and here's the character sheet:
Name:
Backstory:
Why he wanted to be a journalist:
Other:

@AnxietyGremlin group

Hello! If this is still open may I join. I have to let you know that I am only active on weekdays from 8:45 to 3:45 MST. This seems like a very emotional and sophisticated rp and it seems very interesting. Of course you reserve the right to say no.

@EtherealDreamer

Sure! Just give me a brief realistic fiction sample first, and I'll let you know!
Also the time thing is fine, my activeness is a bit spotty itself :)

@AnxietyGremlin group

A little blond boy ran up to his brunette friend, holding something in his hands, and bouncing up and down excitedly. "Oscar! Look what I just got!" The boy's friend, Oscar, looked down at the boy's hands, in which he was holding a small seedling in a bag of dirt. "Wow, Robin. that's cool. What is it though?" Robin pouted playfully. "Oscar, it's a sapling! Your mom said we could plant it in your backyard." Robin smiled. "I've always wanted to have a tree in my yard. What kind of tree is it?" He asked, walking with Robin to the shed to retrieve the gardening tools. Robin smiled "A Lemon tree!" The two picked a spot near the middle of the yard. One with growing space, and lots of sunlight. They worked all morning to plant the seed. Once they had completed their task, they watered it and went inside to drink some cool lemonade. After that day, Robin and Oscar took turns watering the tree. They watched it grow and flourish, just like their friendship. They spent every day together, talking about their tree, their days, and other interesting topics. As they grew, so did their feelings. They started to think about one another in ways they never have One day, Robin walked into Oscar's backyard, pouting. "What's wrong?" Oscar asked. Robin replied, almost breaking into tears "I'm moving. I'm moving to Florida" Oscar panicked "Florida?! But you can't move there! It's so far away from Michigan!" Robin just sobbed "I know" Oscar hugged Robin "Hey. It's alright. I have your number, and we can talk over the phone. I'll take good care of the tree. But for now, we can't worry about all of that. Let's just enjoy the time we have left together." Robin sniffed, wiping his tears. "Your right. Let's sit under the tree. I'll go make some lemonade."

how's that?

@AnxietyGremlin group

Name: Quinn Curtis
Ethnicity: Asian/Caucasian
Likes: Music, specifically string instruments, baking and good humor
Dislikes: Overly clingy people, heights, hospitals and deep ocean-like water.
Backstory:He grew up in a popular family, in a nice suburban neighborhood. His family loved him very much and he had a lot of friends. He had a love of music from a young age, sparked by his cousin Luna. He learned to play string instruments like the guitar and the ukelele, and when his cousin moved away, he promised her he'd be famous when she got back. His mother soon became a victim of fatal cases of Asian hate crimes. He promised himself he'd make sure others didn't have to go through that heartache
Why he wanted to be a journalist: His dreams got more realistic as he got older, but his love for music never changed. He became a journalist in order to catalog the music industry, the good and bad. He wanted to know everything, and be close to his passions.
Other: He still plays the guitar in a small band as a side job. He can be found on the weekends playing gigs in small locations or at the park

@EtherealDreamer

Name: Marco Ramirez
Ethnicity: Mexican-American.
Dislikes: ignorant people and racist people.
Backstory: Marco's parents were hate crimes and murdered when he was only 5 years old, so he's lived with his abuelita since then. He's still currently living with her. She is a plump, short woman with kind brown eyes and a warm face.
Why he wanted to be a journalist: Marco wanted people of color to get the recognition they deserved, ever since his parents were hate-crimed to death.
Other: Marco has a older half sister who lives in New Mexico.

@EtherealDreamer

Marco's face was covered in a dingy grey tinted dust from the explosion of the cement inside the building's walls. He coughed into his fist, equally dust covered and his throat felt as if it were on fire.

He heard a faint groaning coming from his right and he saw a singular leg sticking out of a small hole of the mountain of big debris piled on top of a metal beam.
He used his hands to try to clear away a big chunk of concrete, he lifted with his legs as he had been taught and after a slow process, managed to shove it off the top of the pile. It revealed an only slightly dusty guy who seemed unconscious.

"Hello?" Marco said quietly. "Can you hear me?"
He saw that the man's leg that wasn't sticking out of the debris was stuck under a slab of concrete and he began to work at pushing it off.
"This might hurt a little," Marco said apologetically.

@AnxietyGremlin group

Quinn layed there semi-consious. He was covered in a thin layer of dust and heavy debris. he felt some of the debris lift. He heard a man with a Mexican accent speak. The man asked if he could hear him. He wanted to tell him that he could. He wanted to ask him to get him out of there. But he couldn't he tried but his throat was so coated in dust and his lungs were so filled with smoke that he couldn't speak. He could taste blood, and feel almost nothing. What he could feel hurt.

He heard the man say that something might hurt. He panicked a bit before the rest of the debris as lifted off of his leg, and the man was so right. It was agonizing when the slab of concrete on his leg moved. He wanted to scream, but there was so much mental relief when he was free. He turned a bit as the pain made him fully conscious.
He immediately regretted his decision when pain shot through every part of his body. He had definitely broken bones.
He heard the wailing sirens of an ambulance as he faded back out of consciousness. He hoped he and the kind man who had freed him would be alright.

@EtherealDreamer

Marco looked around in panic, saw an ambulance a few feet away, with medics getting out of the back.
He ran over, leaving the man alone for a second.
He tugged on the medic's arm. "There's a man, this way." He shouted, over the wailing of the siren.
"Sir," the medic said. "Calm down, I can't understand you."

Marco had problems with his accent his whole life. He took a deep breath and spoke as slowly and as clearly as he could. "A man, trapped under debris, over here." He said and the medic nodded, even though Marco's pronunciation of debris came out sounding like de-bri-es and not de-br-ee.

He led the medic over and the second one followed, Marco helped them lift the man and they got him onto a stretcher. The medic was attempting to speak with him, though he was not answering.
They loaded him into the ambulance and before they could shut the doors Marco jumped in as well.

"Sir," one of the medics said. "When we get to the hospital we will get you a doctor, but your injuries are not that major."

"No," Marco said. "not for me, I don't want him to be alone."
The medic gave a look of surprise.
"Ambulance ride is a lonely one, so I will stay with him." Marco said and smiled at the medic, who registered a sedative to the man, for the pain and Marco sat back, watching a world that seemed so far away.

@AnxietyGremlin group

Quinn opened his eyes and immediately shut them. The bright fluorescent lights of a hospital blinded him, and as he sat up, pain shot through his body like electricity. He looked around. The lights illuminated the room in an ugly and eerie hue. The scent of sanitizer invaded his sense of smell. He heard the beeping of machines, the drip of an iv. He heard low chatter of nurses outside the room. He could taste a bit of blood, which was to be expected.

He hated the hospital. Everything about it. Not just the awful food, but just being there put him on edge. The smell made him sick. The sounds made him anxious. The lights hurt his eyes and he felt a sense of dread every time he stepped foot inside the building.

The man that had saved him sitting in a chair by the wall with his head down. He wasn't sure if the man was asleep. "Hello?" Quinn said quietly. He wasn't sure if it would hurt to talk, but luckily it only hurt a little. He wanted to thank the man, but he wanted to be sure he was awake first

@EtherealDreamer

Marco looked up groggily, he had been there for almost eight hours, after getting a checkup to make sure the explosion gave him no internal damages, he had been sitting in the same chair since.

He looked around. He then looked at the guy and smiled lightly.
"Hi," he said slowly, to give his accent less of a dominance in his speech. "I'm glad you're awake."

@AnxietyGremlin group

"Thanks. Thank you for saving me" He said. That was first and foremost. He owed this man his life. "How long have you been sitting there?" He asked, trying to make gentle conversation

Everything hurt, but he wanted to talk to this guy. "My name is Quinn by the way"

@EtherealDreamer

"My name is Marco." Marco said, introducing himself, his accent made the M and C very sharp.
"I've been sitting here for eight hours, almost nine, actually." He added gently. "But I'm not complaining, you looked very peaceful while asleep."

@AnxietyGremlin group

Quinn smiled "Marco is a nice name" Quinn smile dropped at the next sentence "Nine hours? That's a really long time." He couldn't tell if the last bit was a complement but he wasn't complaining if it was. "Why'd you stay for so long?"

@EtherealDreamer

Marco gave a small smile.
"Because I wanted to know who you are." He said slowly and lowly. "To see if you were doing okay once you woke up, I saved your life but I didn't even know your name and that hurt me a little, to think I could leave you without ever knowing anything about you."

@AnxietyGremlin group

"Thats.. wow…" Quinn began, but didn't know how to finish. He hadn't though of it that way. He had been surrounded with selfish people since he started working as a reporter, so it took him by surprise to meet this guy. "Well If you'd like, we can get to know each other when I get out of here?" He offered. He wanted to know more about Marco. He wanted to know what allowed Marco to be so selfless as to save him, and then waste his whole day waiting for him to wake up. He was confused, yet intruiged

@EtherealDreamer

"Ah," Marco said, grinning. "But that, Quinn—" Quinn came out Cuh-wen.
"The doctor said you'd be here for at least two weeks so that is exactly the problem, do you want me to call your family?" Family came out Fam-e-lee.