forum I'm building a kind of sorcerer and I'm not sure their magic makes sense.
Started by @shattered_heart
tune

people_alt 3 followers

@shattered_heart

So, a couple of months ago I made up a country of sorcerers for my fantasy world. They were pretty basic at first but as time went by, they decided they wanted to something more and are now proving to be very troublesome. Although they live under one king, they are divided into several different clans, each based on their power. You know, the cliche type of power that's basically the four elements (although they branch off into several others).

So what I want to know is: does it make sense if they can be born into the same family?
Like even if two fire clans married, they could have an ice child. And then when they were older, they would be sorted into the clan that they are. And also that, one child could have several of the powers, although it would be rare?
You see, I was writing a story and I realised that everyone in the royal family has a different power. Although one prince is the same as the king and the other prince is the same as the queen, the third prince and the princess have different powers.
Please give me an answer and help me out.

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

Interesting. I would go one of two ways (actually 2.5)
1: They could be driven out. (Or maybe just severely frowned upon.)
1.5: That could be the case but some stay anyways, hiding their powers, or themselves.
2: And this is my favorite, you could have them stay, and it would be rare to do so, and call them Loyals or Loyalties because they were more loyal to their birth tribe instead of their power. A side of stigma is optional.

@shattered_heart

Interesting. I would go one of two ways (actually 2.5)
1: They could be driven out. (Or maybe just severely frowned upon.)
1.5: That could be the case but some stay anyways, hiding their powers, or themselves.
2: And this is my favorite, you could have them stay, and it would be rare to do so, and call them Loyals or Loyalties because they were more loyal to their birth tribe instead of their power. A side of stigma is optional.

Is this for ones who are born with different powers from their family or the ones with a mix of powers? Or both in general?

I really like your answers 1.5 and 2. And the name Loyals/Loyalties in a cool choice.

Thanks! I was thinking about the ones born with different powers. I would say that the ones born with multiple could choose without scorn where s/he could live. And perhaps s/he could have a claim of protection and friendship with the other ones.

@shattered_heart

Thanks! I was thinking about the ones born with different powers. I would say that the ones born with multiple could choose without scorn where s/he could live. And perhaps s/he could have a claim of protection and friendship with the other ones.

Thank you so much for replying. Your answers are really helpful.
So you think it's okay then, that they can be born with a different power then? Like the magic isn't really genetic?

Hahaha, I think if someone was born with multiple powers the king would try to match them up with one of his own children or at least to one of his nobles. Or the clans would all fawn over them in hopes they would choose them and make that clan stronger.

Perhaps it could still be genetics. But remember, genetics are rather complicated. For instance, when I was very young I had red hair. Neither my mother or father had red hair. But one of my ancestors did. Also, Dudley Dursley had a magical child.

@shattered_heart

@"The Althalosian"

Okay, thank you so much for your help. It is very appreciated.
Thinking of it, I think I have heard a couple of stories similar to yours. How unique though :)

@shattered_heart

Hey, I recommend you take a look at this, it was extremely helpful when I was creating the system of magic that I wanted to use for my story (Dark Magic, Elemental Magic, and Celestial Magic). It's seriously worth taking the time to read, it can help make your magic system solid and give it the ability to be a a crucial part of the story.
https://coppermind.net/wiki/Sanderson%27s_Laws_of_Magic

Thank you so much, I read it and it is indeed very helpful. I've been saving a lot of blogs and things on magic building but never got around to reading them, lol.
They are good rules and I fully agree with them. I always disliked magic in books or movies that had no limitation. And I have already decided on some consequences of using magic. My brother and I use to play a game as kids with imaginary characters, beasts and worlds. We played it out like we were acting it, though as we got older, we didn't act it out anymore but instead, walked around our yard and explained the actions of our characters, so it was more like telling a story together.
We decided in that game that when people used magic it would drain them of energy and they would have to rest up a bit before using it again. It was the same for portals. It was interesting because it could create problems like shapeshifters could only change a couple of times, before being exhausted and having to wait for a portal to be able to open again. I don't remember all the rules we had but I think if a person used too much it could permanently damage them and portals could crack. Shapeshifter could even become stuck in a false form, to weak to change back. It was fun building our worlds, magic and history.
Wow, I didn't mean to blab on like that, I guess the site just woke up good old memories. :D

@shattered_heart

@"The Althalosian"
Yeah, they were. Unfortunately, we got older and we started developing different interests. It's part of the reason I write. So I can put all the memories in there for keeps sake.

@SaltyLasagna

I used to do the same thing with my cousin lol and my neighbor lol. We would pretend to be teenage werewolves or vampires
me and my neighboor went a little darker though, I remember one time we made up this whole thing where we were pretending to be sisters and one got murdered, dragged into the woods, and left there. The character I was playing kept thinking she was crazy bc she kept seeing the ghost of her sister, but as we went on my character was convinced that what she saw was real. She got more comfortable around her sister and had her take her back and forth between the land of the living and the afterlife, until I had to move away and we couldn't play pretend anymore lol

@shattered_heart

@SaltyLasagna
Wow, I don't know if we were ever that involved. That sounds like a full on horror story.
I tried to start up a game with one of my cousins but it never really worked as we didn't have a whole lot in common. We used to play a cat game together though, as she was a huge fan of 'Warrior Cats'. We literally crawled around of hands and knees, much to the amusement of our siblings.

I remember back when we first started it, my brother's character was the king of dragons (it was a medieval fantasy world) and he went to a large market and came across a slave trader. There was a young boy for sale and the king asked about him and the slave trader (I played with him) said he had been abandoned by his village after he murdered his parents. The king looked at the boy and the boy was full on staring at him in a creepy way. Apparently I creep-ed my brother out because he was only young and couldn't imagine a little kid killing his own parents. I had quite a dark twisted mind, although I was only older by two years and I think I scared him a fair bit in that game :)

@SaltyLasagna

yeah lol I remember I was kinda twisted as a child, and I still kind of am. I'm a huge fan of horror stories and typically write in the horror genre, or something similar lol

@shattered_heart

@SaltyLasagna
I would like to try out the horror genre, but sadly I've had a phobia of ghosts and darkness since a kid, so I don't think it would mix well. I have read several online ghost stories and found them interesting, but I had to pay for it when I was trying to sleep at night.
I thought I was over my phobia, but I went to a park at night a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of siblings. There were these huge tunnel slides and I tried two of them but when I went to the third one, I saw it was twisty and pitch black inside. My legs went like jelly and I started breathing rapidly so I had to back away from it and go back to the other ones. So yeah, I have to avoid that kind of stuff.