forum What is your Religion/Mythology in your novel?
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 3 followers

Deleted user

Just a chat to share the different deities, goddesses, gods, spirits and any stories that partake in your stories mythology or religion. If you need help brainstorming, then I can help with that too. Include as much or as little as you want!

barabara

In my story there's a tribunal of goddesses; one for the hunt, one for war, and one for sorcery. Their power combined was so great that they were able to create a separate realm for mortals and god using their life force, and ending a 100 years war between gods. Their last act was bestowing their power upon a worthy bloodline to carry on their legacy. 500 years later the force that holds the mortal realm together is waning and three girls learn that their fate is to give everything they have to strengthen it.

Deleted user

That's really thought out and interesting! It would make a great story idea.

barabara

Of course!
Does his weight change in his god form?
For facial hair you could say what his eyebrows are like
For mannerisms, what does he do when he's surprised, excited, or scared? Hw does he laugh, smile, or lie?
Really solid motivation!
Flaws are great. Is there an ugly side to him? What about when he's angry?
Personality type is excellent, really descriptive
Where did he get his weapon?
Interesting take on his birthday, I like it
What would he like if he had a pet?
Overall I say really excellent job. I can picture him perfectly in my mind the only thing I'm really curious to know is his background. I hope this helped! Happy writing!

Deleted user

Thanks! This really helped, and I will definitely use these tips to help elaborate on him. If you need anyone to look over any characters, I'm more than happy to help.

@ThatBackgroundSlytherin

Lordy

Okay there's a bit of history behind it

Great beings once roamed the lost planet, Atlantis. They held remarkable powers that shaped the earth beneath them. Then they left, with the promise that they would come back to take their dear humans with them. They left behind a bowl with pure starlight in it. The bowl is what connects them to the humans on earth, and the humans draw power from them.

The humans made four religions to honor their wandering gods. Alsama, Matikka Ventum, Alard, and Sharaf Allhab.

Alsama honors the sky, the wind, and birds. They wear feathers in their hair.

Mattika Ventum honors the sea, the stars, and aquatic creatures. They aren't allowed to eat fish.

Alard honors the earth and all things that grow on it. They wear head coverings.

Sharaf Allhab honors the flame, fire, and blacksmithing. Most of the members go around with soot on their face.

Every moon they go to the temple and perform a ritual that strengthens their connection to their gods. The artifacts that were left behind were used to create magic rings, necklaces, and other trinkets.

phew that was long sorry

Deleted user

That sounds amazing! And I bet it will be a great story!

As for barbara's character…wow. (I'm a quick reader, but don't worry, I read all of it.) I can tell that you definitely thought through every single detail, from her appearance, to her mannerisms and prejudices, and to her favorite food. I really love her mannerisms and especially her motivations. Every part of Rie is very thought out, realistic, and I think she will make an amazing character. I don't think there's a lot to change, because every single one of her characteristics balances one another out and seem very, very life-like. Well done!

barabara

That's amazing!! It's clear a lot of thought went behind that and I'm really interested to see how that plays into the plot of your story. Are there people who don't believe in any of the gods? Are there people who don't think the gods existed at all? If people play with or touch the pure starlight will they die or will some gain special powers? Is touching the starlight like a right of passage? Do the people who can handle the most starlight get higher positions of power?
Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just really curious!

Thanks for the critique! @NessieTheMonster

@ThatBackgroundSlytherin

Those are frickin good questions my guy.

There are people who don't believe in them. They don't think they'll come back or that they even existed. People who touch the starlight get visions of the future which will either drive them insane, or make them go blind if they don't have permission. They touch it as a right of passage when they become a full blown madge (the order of sorcerers that take care of the bowl). The people who handle the starlight the most are the elders or leaders of the order and they don't receive any special powers for it.

Hope that answered your questions!

Deleted user

Thanks dude! :D

Of course, you're an amazing writer from what I've seen in roleplays and here as well!

Deleted user

I was wondering if I should create a second god to be Daus' sister or even a twin. Since Daus is the god/spirit of balance, justice, and luck, should his sibling be the goddess of deceit and lies? Just to balance one another out in a way.

barabara

That's a really interesting idea! It could be like the female version of Loki! Or it could be someone who wants the best for people, but's cursed with telling lies even when she doesn't want to. She could have bad relations with her brother because she's jealous of his ability to do good. She could try and put herself in isolation only to be dragged out again by restlessness and curiosity. The more good she tries to do, the more harm she actually does. Think along the lines Elfaba in Wicked.
I hope some of this helped!

Deleted user

Thanks, that definitely helped a lot! I'm also wondering if I should change Daus' name up or leave it as it is…any input or other suggestions on that?

barabara

I really like his name. It seems familiar, but also has a unique twist to it. If you'd like to change it though I would suggest something like Elvirose, Gage, Levi, Takuma, Verityse, or Zell just because they sound interesting and have something to do with truth or balance. I hope this helped!

Deleted user

Sorry that I didn't reply to this sooner! I thought over it and I'm probably going to keep Daus' name but the suggestions you gave me could definitely work for the other gods as well. Thank you!