forum Planet Types
Started by @Abriel
tune

people_alt 58 followers

@Abriel

I wanna hear new ideas for planets. Like I have an oceanic planet and one that's mostly deserts, and alien communities fall from there, but I want more creative habitats. Anything is possible it's SPACE!

A.J.

I have one planet where over time people's bodys change and grow in a way that causes gravity to be less and less effective, until eventually gravity stops affecting them at all. The family holds a ceremony called the Way of The Stars, and the family member sort of slowly lifts off the ground and floats into space. Its called the way of the stars because they believe they came from the stars and so to the stars they are returning.

@kat_i_am

Maybe a gas giant? But the gas is dense enough for your protag and some of their comrades to walk on, but some species are too dense to walk on the gas? So it's literally a death trap for some species. And the "oceans" are just less dense gas and you see it rising into the sky and it's a wall of this lighter gas and maybe it's beautiful colors and sometimes people accidentally walk into it but because it's less dense they fall to the planet's core and die? oof sorry a lot of dying there. (SKY?) BOATS ON GAS GIANTS! LIKE THAT FLOAT ON THE LESS DENSE GAS THAT'S A GOOD IDEA
A "planet" that's really an asteroid belt and each asteroid is like a market stall/shop that would be a really cool black market situation
A hollow planet where gravity works in reverse- instead of being drawn towards the core of the planet you're drawn away from the core, so it's hard to get into the planet (cause it's like magnets of the same polarity, they push each other away) but once you're in the planet you're securely in the inner surface? Dangerous aspect (sorry space is dangerous gotta write that in)? In some places the crust is thinner and if you break through you get sucked into space bye. This one is just extra cool, maybe it's small enough you can see "up" or "down" or whatever to the other side of the sphere. Maybe people built in windows to the crust so you can see the stars.
I might come up with more, but I'll post just these for now

@kat_i_am

you know… that one liquid that you can breathe in?? I can't remember what it's called but an ocean planet made out of that so you like… walk along the ocean floor or like on catwalks where the ocean is deep and it's kinda weird but v cool

@Abriel

Oh my gosh yes, these are exactly what I meant! Thank you guys, these ideas are super cool. I won't post them anywhere, it's more for a personal thing I'm writing, but are you cool with me using them?

@kat_i_am

Yeah go for it, but if I ever write space stuff (which I prob won't it's not really my niche) you might see similar iterations of these I just love space and planets and stuff

@kat_i_am

oh also Abriel - if you go to general chat there's a thread called "I JUST WANNA TALK ABOUT SCIFI **." and we have some good stuff going on there. It's been inactive for a day or so but good stuff, both real and fiction and theoretical and actual sciencey stuff

@kat_i_am

okay I think there was an ep of doctor who like this but just… a library. A planet of knowledge. Maybe not a traditional library like what we think of though, with shelves and books and whatnot (that would be a lot like the doctor who ep, which was literally a library). But maybe a planet that's dedicated to rigs to put ppl into like…a cyberspace dimension/world/whatever where all the knowledge in the universe is amassed in various forms. A true VR multimedia experience lol

@kat_i_am

a planet in a solar system with a star that doesn't give off white light (like our sun does) so it doesn't have the same light spectrum range so uh maybe there's just a planet that's literally a million shades of red but here's the thing not all species can see the slight differences so to the home planet species it's this amazing rich environment but to us humans we just see like…. 2.5 shades of red and we're like… okay lame and slightly aggressive

@kat_i_am

HAVE YOU READ THE COLOURS OF MADELEINE SERIES? IN AN AU IN THE BOOK COLORS ARE AN ACTUAL THING LIKE THEY ARE THESE AMORPHOUS WAVES THAT HAVE EFFECTS ON PPL AND THINGS IT'S COOL LOOK INTO THAT AND DO THAT

@kat_i_am

Hello I am back again!!!!
You know how we have nature reserves??? Imagine a sector of space where it's like… a nature reserve and there are like… space creatures? you know the idea of space whales? like whales that just live in space? (if you watch the newest season of voltron on netflix they have a really good portrayal of space whales and like the ecosystems they've created around themselves) so like… a space aquarium but literally space so not an AQUArium… a spacerium?

@FormerPeach

okay I think there was an ep of doctor who like this but just… a library. A planet of knowledge. Maybe not a traditional library like what we think of though, with shelves and books and whatnot (that would be a lot like the doctor who ep, which was literally a library). But maybe a planet that's dedicated to rigs to put ppl into like…a cyberspace dimension/world/whatever where all the knowledge in the universe is amassed in various forms. A true VR multimedia experience lol

Yes!! There is a really great Doctor Who episode set in a library-planet. Actually all of the planets in Doctor who are pretty wild, so that's probably a good resource to draw from

@FormerPeach

Hello I am back again!!!!
You know how we have nature reserves??? Imagine a sector of space where it's like… a nature reserve and there are like… space creatures? you know the idea of space whales? like whales that just live in space? (if you watch the newest season of voltron on netflix they have a really good portrayal of space whales and like the ecosystems they've created around themselves) so like… a space aquarium but literally space so not an AQUArium… a spacerium?

I haven't seen Voltron, but this idea is rad. (Just to nerd out for a second, this reminds me of the episode of Doctor Who with the starwhale which is great and is my second favorite episode :)

@Byakuren Houjuu Beta Tester

We have found some pretty exotic planets in the real world already, like that one planet that's basically a giant diamond. Maybe look those up for inspiration?

@FormerPeach

We have found some pretty exotic planets in the real world already, like that one planet that's basically a giant diamond. Maybe look those up for inspiration?

Tru.

I just thought of another place to look for planet inspiration–I think the planets in Interstellar were pretty wild.