forum Also gimme some of your favorite types of plot twists
Started by @alanye
tune

people_alt 54 followers

@alanye

I recently watched a very good plot twist unfold on Steven Universe and, damn, I wish I could write like that. I love plot twists, so I want to hear some of your favorite ones! If you need to reference a show, warn about spoilers, but I won't care since I'm caught up on my shows. Plot twists just hold a special place in my heart. Thanks!

@Starfast group

My favourite types of plot twists are the ones that you didn't see coming but totally make sense when you look back on things. Like the ones where you read it and everything just kind of clicks into place and all you can think is "I can't believe that I didn't see this coming," because you've realized that there's been all these subtle clues leading up to it… I'm a huge fan of plot twists, but those are actually the best.

@passion_of_knowledge

Mine is where you know that character is an important part later, and you make a list. Like they are either a mentor from main character's original country, their brother, or the villain, but then, lo and behold it is the love interest. Then you realize, they had give subtle hints to the main character about who they really were. And the plot twist makes you so 'ahh!' that you have to run and make tea just to calm down.

@Pandapocalypse

I love it when it builds up to something and makes you think that one thing is definitely going to happen, but something totally different happens that wasn't at all hinted at. It still goes with the story and makes since, though. It's very hard to write things like that without annoying the reader.

@kat_i_am

My favorite plot twist is the one I'm writing in my own wip lol
but uh
I like double agents that you didn't see coming
but then you reread/rewatch the show and you're like… okay yeah I def see how there were v subtle hints dropped

@M.W.Poel

Something I apparently do a lot is writing characters who seem really nice and bubbly but then you read on and its murder and death or vice versa. Often it ends up being booth because the narrator/ main character has made assumptions based on appearance but then they talk to the person and they discover the "the typical ______" hands out good luck charms and has tea parties with spirits/demons on Saturdays.

@Azuresbend

My favorite plot twist is when the heroes lose. like they tried, they cared, they suffered, they sacrificed, they gave it their all but in the end they still lose. And it leaves the audience's jaws hanging because they were the good guys and even though logically it was impossible for them to win still no one actually believed they would ever really fail, and that it would all be for nothing in the end.

@kat_i_am

My favorite plot twist is when the heroes lose. like they tried, they cared, they suffered, they sacrificed, they gave it their all but in the end they still lose. And it leaves the audience's jaws hanging because they were the good guys and even though logically it was impossible for them to win still no one actually believed they would ever really fail, and that it would all be for nothing in the end.

@Azuresbend

Heh did you mean

@kat_i_am

Heh did you mean

ALSO THOSE OF YOU WONDERING we're talking about a certain marvel movie that has had everyone in emotional wrecks…

@WriteOutofTime

My favorite plot twists typically involve large tonal shifts. A sudden, dark realization that has been foreshadowed and hinted at the entire time. Like at the end of Sixth Sense, when we realize the main character has been dead the entire time. It was heavily foreshadowed, but I still didn't guess it until right before they revealed it. Or in The Prestige, with all the layers and layers of plot twisting that occurred in there. I guess the best plot twists aren't a complete surprise –more of a realization, something that was in your mind the entire time, but you hadn't quite figured out yet.

Deleted user

I like the kind of plot twist where everything points to that a cliché will come (like a love triangle or whatever) and then the expected cliché doesn’t come. Instead there is something really unexpected and surprising.

Deleted user

"He could play KAaAaaAAzzzzZZZooooOooOoooO" is my favorite plot twist by far

Yo, man thanks for spoiling the whole story! Dang I couldn't have ever been able to guess that! Gosh I hate people like you!