forum Hivemind Language
Started by @ArtisticKnifepoint
tune

people_alt 17 followers

@ArtisticKnifepoint

There´s a hivemind in my story, and I just have this question that´s been bugging me for a long time. Do people, if we humans had a Hivemind, use their native language, or do they speak a language that can only be spoken in the Hivemind?

@FantaPop

I think it would depend on how long the Hivemind has been there, and how it integrates with society as a whole. Are people with the Hivemind since they're born? If so, then it would make sense that a language through it would be their native language instead of natural ones. If they aren't, most folks would probably use their native language instead of the one for the Hivemind, or have that as their second language. but think on how that would affect things like pronouns and how people see the world - individuality vs the collective, for example.

@ArtisticKnifepoint

In this world, the hivemind has been around for only 20 years, ever since the main antagonist took over. Would the fact that the people in the story do NOT have parents, and are born in a breader VIA blood taken from two individuals effect this in any way? Would it also matter that they all LOOK human, but aren´t actually human?

@ArtisticKnifepoint

OKAY! FIGURED OUT MY LANGUAGE! PREPAIR FOR A LONG POST!!

The name of the Hivemind language will be called Hivlang (Pronounced HE-Vv-LA-GN)

Here's the Alphabet:
A= "Ar"
B= "Busk"
C= "Crm"
D="Druf"
E="Eh"
F= "Feh"
G= "Grah"
H= "Hak"
I= "Ie"
J= "Juz"
K= "Krr"
L="Lmä
M= "Hrm"
N="Nrm"
O="Ok" (pronounced OH-CK)
P= "Prr" (Like a cat purring)
Q= "Qif"
R= "Rrrr"
S= "Sr"
T= "Tzal"
U= "Uk"
V= "Vvff"
W= "Wey" (Pronounced WEh-LY)
X= "X" (Pronounced like the English Alphabet)
Y= "Yjq"
Z= "Zsa"

This is the punctuation and their rules:
Commas will be used only when continuing a sentance.
Periods at the ends of sentences.
If a sentence ends with a feeling, a semicolon is used. (This is done because usually a reason is given after expressing an emotion)
There is a Evolution punctuation symbol (Called HIER) which will always be used when referring to Alex (or Mercer)

These are the pronouns:
Classic Pronouns
He=Hakeh
She=Srhakeh
They=Tzalhakehyjq
Them=Tzalhakehhrm
It=Ietzal
I= Ie
There are certain pronouns that are only used in Hivlang. These pronouns are reserved for the Personal Guard, The Continentals, and Mercer himself. These cannot translate into any language directly, but the closest translations are "Best and Strong", "Messanger", "Him, a fallen god"

This is some Grammar:
Vocal intentions in Hivlang remain the same, except Love and Anger are switched.
When referring to a title, name or person or place, or a name and then title, there are no spaces
Hivlang is super fast, with each word pronounced by each letter. For instance, "Home" is "Hakokhrmeh" and "Evolution" is "Ehvvffoklmäuktzalieoknrm" but due to how fast Hivlang is, these words seem shorter then they actually are.

These are the rules of Hivlang:
When referring to a Personal Guard, any of the Continentals, or Mercer, the name comes first.
All other names are used last in the sentence. (This does not apply to pronouns. Pronouns are used where they are needed, no matter who the person is refrencing)
Hivlang can only be spoken by Evolutions, and it is either a first language or a second language. It is also used, no matter what, in the Hivemind, and Hivereaders are often the best translators, and can speak it fluently.
Spaces are not used for names, titles, or places.
There is a written version of Hivlang, but the symbols are extremely complicated.
Commas are NEVER used after a name, place, or title.
Since there's no written symbol for a capital letter in Hivlang, they often use a symbol, called a Zix, to represent when a word is capitalized.

Here are some word examples:
Biomass= "Buskieokhrmarsrsr"
Lost Zone= "Lmäoksrtzalzsaoknrmeh"
Avalyn Krossin= "ArvvffarlmäyjqnrmKrrrrrroksrsrienrm"
Hivemind= "Hakievvffehhrmienrmdruf"

Here are some sentence examples:
"Alex Mercer is our ruler"=
"(Hier symbol) ie okukrrrr rrrruklmäehrrrr"
"Avalyn Krosin is strange"=
"Lesr srtzalrrrrarnrmgraheg ArvvrrarlmäyjqnrmKrrrrrroksrienrm"
"I feel angry"=
"Ie fehehehlmä arnrmgrahrrrryja;"
"He is a Hellhound Master, She is a Artist, They are Human Assassins"=
"Hakeh iesr Hakehlmälmä Hrmarsrtzalehrrrrr, Srhakeh iesr ar Artzaliesrtzal, Tzalhakehyjq arrrrreh Hakukhrmarnrm Arsrsrarsrsrienrmsr"

(For the last one, Hellhound Master is not an official title. For titles, they must be official for commas to not be used. So while there would be a comma at the end of "Hellhound Master", there would not be a comma at the end of "Master of the Hellhounds." The offical title for artist is "Maker of Art")

Zeland

one question, if they were a hivemind, would they need a language? They could just think to other members of the hivemind, seeing as you don't need language to think. they might never need to use words, unless they're communicating with people outside the hive.

@ArtisticKnifepoint

Okay, I forgot to mention one thing: normal Evolutions cannot communicate with the Hivemind. You either have to be a Hivereader (you can navigate the Hivemind, control other Evolutions, communicate with them, see into their memories) or have the power to communicate to the Evolutions of lesser rank than you if you go into the Military by Brier. Normal Evolutions (meaning Evolutions not yet of age or adult Evolutions that don't serve military positions) cannot communicate to each other using the Hivemind.

However, Hivlang (the language of the Hivemind) is both spoken, written, and thought. It is an Evolutions first language, and an inborn language, so they know it first. Later on, depending on the region, they (are forced to) learn the language of the people around them, so an Evolution living in Spain would know both Spanish and Hivlang.

The Hivemind in my book is literally like calling someone, but with your mind. Does that help??

@FormerPeach

one question, if they were a hivemind, would they need a language? They could just think to other members of the hivemind, seeing as you don't need language to think. they might never need to use words, unless they're communicating with people outside the hive.

@Zeland, thinking (aside from imagining pictures and such, which wouldn't be an effective means of communication) requires the use of a language. I think in English, other people's thoughts might be in Spanish, etc. So the hivemind would have to be in /some/ language, regardless of what the language(s) is/are.

Zeland

@FormerPeach you don't necessarily have to think in a language. We do it because we are used to it, but we don't have to. For instance, some types of dyslexia takes away your inner narration. there are many things that don't have words to describe them; Granted, this is often because they are too difficult to explain, but still. Besides, if we had to think with words that would probably slow down our thinking speed considerably, because people could only think as fast as they could talk. I don't think that would be a very good survival mechanism, particularly in instances where you have to act fast or die. In addition, non human species don't have language, yet quite a few of them demonstrate signs that they can think as well. I mean, apes can use crude tools, dolphins can do tricks, birds have to learn to fly, etc. These all require a certain amount of attention, i.e, you have to think about it. Just my two cents.

@FormerPeach

@Zeland you make a lot of good points, I didn't think about that. But if there was no language, wouldn't that stymie any societal progress or scientific innovation? Like you said, complex things are rather hard to communicate without the use of a language. (Although that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, because if they were able to discuss complex things in the hivemind, technology would advance at an alarming rate)

@Riorlyne pets

Besides, if we had to think with words that would probably slow down our thinking speed considerably, because people could only think as fast as they could talk.

Just my two cents: many people can read a lot faster than they talk, (I’ve gotten to 600 wpm), so I think that thinking with words doesn’t necessarily slow it down. However, I agree that a lot of thinking doesn’t use what we’d normally think of as language.