forum Preparations!!!
Started by @larcenistarsonist group
tune

people_alt 67 followers

Deleted user

im doing pretty good actually! fleshing out some characters, making new ones.

@ZAVEN local_movies

im doing pretty good actually! fleshing out some characters, making new ones.

Great! Character work is definitely my favourite part for sure! I've been working on that a bit myself. Keep it up!

@ZAVEN local_movies

I'm just loosely mapping out plot right now alskdf this rough draft is going to be extremely rough but that's okay bc at least I'm getting something down aklsdj

Yes yes, I agree. Getting something down is as important as everything else. Good luck! Oh and do you have any particular methods for drafting? Or is it just like, you know, whatever happens happens?

Deleted user

characters tend to cause difficulty for me, i get so focused on a few then neglect the rest- im hoping that wont happen this time lol

Deleted user

and next thing you know… the side character becomes the main character-

@larcenistarsonist group

I'm just loosely mapping out plot right now alskdf this rough draft is going to be extremely rough but that's okay bc at least I'm getting something down aklsdj

Yes yes, I agree. Getting something down is as important as everything else. Good luck! Oh and do you have any particular methods for drafting? Or is it just like, you know, whatever happens happens?

So what I do is I just have a google doc and I just bullet point big events and do smaller bullets under that for smaller events inside that big event and that also fill in snippets of dialogue or description that I think fit in with the event! kind of like this:

• Big Event: blah blah description some random slang I'll forget some !!!! coolness and epicness
    - cool fight inside this event
    - "Some super neat description I think will look amazing in the book. Ohoho, it foreshadows a little bit"
    - what it foreshadows
    -"Some character dialogue" "Cool rebuttal"
  • Another Big Event
    -big discovery by character A while B is somewhere else with C and D

So yeah that's what my plotting looks like, but my drafting is going to be very spotty! I'm going to have lots of "[insert fight scene here]" and "[get to the destination]" in between what I actually do write akdl;f My goal is to just get my story done, to hit the plot points, to develop some characters, and then deal with the stuff I skipped over in my second draft.

@ZAVEN local_movies

I hope you all don't mind me constantly asking random questions about your writing. But the time is almost upon us and I am excited!

As for the question: What are you most nervous about going into November? And to follow up, if you have anything, what are you least worried about?

Deleted user

hmm, most worried about it moving too fast, actually. i hate pacing.
least worried about plot and dialogue, for sure.

@larcenistarsonist group

Honestly, I'm just nervous about hitting a block and not finding away around it aldjks I'm gonna try to absolutely power through to the best of my ability qkjdks I'm not really nervous about the plot bc I think I have a firm grasp on it

(I am also changing so many character names last minute and this could be bad but I do not care ajhdjak)

@ZAVEN local_movies

All very valid! I'm also on the same boat as lemonwitch. I've already run into the issue of pacing a lot, so I definitely get that haha. And also there on the struggling with blocks notion too.

@ZAVEN local_movies

I'm a bit worried I'll get hung up on details and not make as much progress as I need to.
I'm least worried about the action scenes. Those tend to flow easily. It's connecting the epic scenes in my head to each other wih the more normal and mundane stuff.

I've never written an action scene before. I feel like I'd make them clunky haha. Massive respect for you. Good luck, getting caught on details is certainly an issue lots run into.

Deleted user

All very valid! I'm also on the same boat as lemonwitch. I've already run into the issue of pacing a lot, so I definitely get that haha. And also there on the struggling with blocks notion too.

its either three things happened in 1 paragraph or im 4800 words in and the story still hasnt started (it happened once)

@EtherealDreamer

I have all my details set, like main characters, setting and plots of separate chapters.
But I'm not 18 yet so I'm doing the YWP and my goal is only 11k because I don't believe in myself that much.