forum Need some help with Angels
Started by @Jolyn
tune

people_alt 62 followers

@Jolyn

So I'm redoing my Angels and finding it quite a difficult balance and was hoping for advice. I've done some research on what angels are like and kind of have a direction I want to go it? I just need that extra push to make them much more interesting so I'll post what I have so far as well as a quick shitty sketch do y'all have an idea of where I'm at.

I was kinda going for an angel/eldritch horror vibes for context

Angels are humanoid ish beings that are gifted with the ability of telling futures.
They have a large set of white wings, four eyes, elongated and enlarged hands and blackened fingertips, no mouth, and magical rings often floating around their wrists
They are gifted with the ability of prophecy, flight and color manipulation (they have 20 color receptors, which somewhat helps them actually see the magic of the future? I think its a cool concept but it was an idea at 3am and open to be scrapped)
They are docile and only fight when provoked
Oracle angels are less humanoid than regular ones (not sure why yet? It just feels better)

Fallen angels are angels who have been punished for whatever reason
Their white wings turn gray and their rings are broken, usually are cast out or if they are dangerous are put in prison.

Hierarchy stuff:
Every 50 years, there is a large battle held to determine who is worthy to become the next leader, or Seraphim
The rules are incredibility strict and cheaters will immediately have their wing color stripped and deemed fallen angels

Below is a sketch of oracle angels, regular ones would have leggies rather then rings

Thoughts, ideas, critiques? Any thing and everything is welcome i need to fix them as soon as possible

@totallynotapurpledragon

I think what you've got so far is really interesting! There's just one thing: when you say '20 colour receptors, which help them see the magic of the future' do you mean that these colour receptors allow them to see the future, or that they allow them to see magic? Because I think the idea of being able to see magic is a concept that would be fun to explore. I have two ideas on how this could work:

1. The extra colour receptors in angels eyes is what allows them to see magic. However, this implies that magic is just a type of light. This would limit the magic system a lot because light- and by extension, magic- can only do so much.

2. Magic is some form of energy that all things give off. Angels could either be able to see in both light and magic, or just magic. Either way, their eye anatomy would need to change for this to work.

My brain is thinking up a third idea, but it's not very cohesive as of yet. Once I figure out how it works, I'll let you know. Anyway, I hoped these two ideas help, even if they're not exactly what you were looking for!

@totallynotapurpledragon

After some Google searching, I have found that idea number 3 doesn't work. I was hoping I could use quantum physics to explain the ability to see the future, but the things I've been exploring don't work in the way I originally thought.

@Jolyn

Ah that helps a ton for that idea! Magic is already an established energy so I can work my what I have going and shove it into a decent idea. Maybe with so many colour receptors they can kinda "see" magic itself and how it thinks it might behave in the future? Just first thought to come to mind. Quantum physics hurt my brain so no need to worry too much about that idea.

@lemon-gummy group

So I'm redoing my Angels and finding it quite a difficult balance and was hoping for advice. I've done some research on what angels are like and kind of have a direction I want to go it? I just need that extra push to make them much more interesting so I'll post what I have so far as well as a quick shitty sketch do y'all have an idea of where I'm at.

I was kinda going for an angel/eldritch horror vibes for context

Angels are humanoid ish beings that are gifted with the ability of telling futures.
They have a large set of white wings, four eyes, elongated and enlarged hands and blackened fingertips, no mouth, and magical rings often floating around their wrists
They are gifted with the ability of prophecy, flight and color manipulation (they have 20 color receptors, which somewhat helps them actually see the magic of the future? I think its a cool concept but it was an idea at 3am and open to be scrapped)
They are docile and only fight when provoked
Oracle angels are less humanoid than regular ones (not sure why yet? It just feels better)

Fallen angels are angels who have been punished for whatever reason
Their white wings turn gray and their rings are broken, usually are cast out or if they are dangerous are put in prison.

Hierarchy stuff:
Every 50 years, there is a large battle held to determine who is worthy to become the next leader, or Seraphim
The rules are incredibility strict and cheaters will immediately have their wing color stripped and deemed fallen angels

Below is a sketch of oracle angels, regular ones would have leggies rather then rings

Thoughts, ideas, critiques? Any thing and everything is welcome i need to fix them as soon as possible

I looove this :) it would be a great game I think, but also could be like a comic or smth maybe. i will say, though, the oracle angels do still seem humanoid. i don't know what the comparison is to though, since i dont know what the others look like. maybe add more rings or eyes? make the body less detailed/more of a hint at a human body than an actual one? idk Iim not very good at explaining things but this is super cool. especially that part about the color receptors and color manipulation.