forum Anyone have ideas for a sort of "mutated" magic?
Started by @just_gabs_needs_coffee group
tune

people_alt 61 followers

@just_gabs_needs_coffee group

As I'm plot-building and working on my magic system, I am starting to deviate from the types of magic that I came up with. For instance, shapeshifters in my world only have like, 2-4 animal forms they can shift into. However, a new type of shifter called a mimic surfaces, and she can shift to look like any person she sees, but has no animal forms. Another example is that fairies have either a form of growth or decay magic, but it only works on plants. Yet there is a group of fairies that surfaces whose magic affects all living things, not just plants.
I want to figure out a way to develop this sort of "mutated" magic into my story; I need a reason it happens and maybe something that this occurance causes/something I could do with it.
Anyone have any ideas?

Deleted user

Hmm, so you could totally take this is several different directions.
It could entirely be a genetic thing, or random chance just what kind of magic that people get stuck with. That could still lead to cultural impacts as some people born "mutated" could be shunned.
Another angle is a learning thing. Some people can master this one form of magic and others another with it all coming down to personal taste.
Or, if you really want to lean into the "mutated" aspect the creatures could have totally normal magic until something traumatic happens, maybe like some kind of plague that messes with how they can perform and seeing how it can affect years of study or work.
It's a very interesting concept that you could take many different ways! Personally I'm partial to some kind of disease or corruption that changes around magic. Be it the wrath of a god or a prank gone horribly, horribly wrong, it's up to you!

Mt. G router

One way to explain this deviation in magical abilities is to introduce the concept of magical mutations or magical anomalies. These mutations could be caused by various factors such as exposure to a powerful magical artifact, a rare genetic trait, or a consequence of a magical accident.

For example, the mimic shifter could be a result of a rare genetic mutation that allows them to mimic the appearance of other beings. Alternatively, they could have been exposed to a powerful magical artifact that granted them this ability. This mutation could cause them to be ostracized from their shifter community, leading them to become a loner or even an antagonist in the story.

Similarly, the group of fairies with expanded magical abilities could be a result of a magical accident or exposure to a powerful magical source. This mutation could cause them to be seen as outcasts by other fairies who possess only plant-related magic. They could be hunted by other fairies, leading them to band together and form their own group. Alternatively, they could be sought after by those who seek to exploit their expanded abilities for their own gain.

In terms of what this occurrence could cause or what you could do with it, there are several possibilities. The emergence of mutated magical abilities could lead to conflicts within the magical community, causing a divide between those with "normal" magical abilities and those with mutated ones. This could result in discrimination, persecution, or even all-out war.

Alternatively, the mutated magical abilities could lead to new discoveries and advancements in magic. For example, the mimic shifter's ability could be used to spy on enemies or to infiltrate enemy territory in ways previously not thought possible. The fairies whose magic only works on plants might also be very interested in what differences there are between themselves and the fairies that can heal everything…