forum Not loading the edit function
Started by @ladysamxoxo
tune

people_alt 61 followers

@ladysamxoxo

So I have a very odd situation. When I'm on my home computer trying to edit something, it does not load at ALL. It just spins and spins like it's trying to load, but it eventually times out. I'm using Google Chrome, and it works on GC with my work computer just fine. It also loads on Safari on my iPhone and iPad, so the issue is related specifically to my home computer. (I also tried using Microsoft Edge on the computer and it does the same thing.) Has anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions? I've tried clearing my cookies/cache and clearing browser history, etc, but no luck. :/ This only happens when I hit the "Edit" button on literally any page. TIA!

@Eldest-God-andrew health_and_safety flash_onAdmin

Interesting! I've had a similar problem reported from a few users before that was triggered by AdBlock doing something weird with the page – do you have any ad blockers installed on that computer? You can also try it in Incognito mode (which disables all extensions, etc) in case there's a setting or addon that's interfering. I'll do some digging and see what I can find out!

@ladysamxoxo

I have not made any progress on figuring out what this is. Any other suggestions that might steer me in the right direction?

Sorry for the lack of follow-up on this! I haven't been able to replicate the issue on my end, but I added a lot of debugging on the backend in a release a couple nights ago that I've been working with to investigate further. I'm not sure why it's working on your iPhone/iPad/work computer but not your home desktop, but I do have a few different potential fixes going live in tonight's release (that should go live a couple hours after this comment).

If those fixes don't work, tonight's release also has a bit more debugging in place so I can better figure out what's going on, but it's possible it has something to do with the computer that I don't have a lot of control over. If tonight's fixes don't work, I have a couple other questions for you that should help diagnose what is going on:

• Have you ever been able to edit pages on your home computer?
  • Are you able to edit pages on other accounts on your home computer? (I can PM you a temporary test account login after the release so you don't have to bother creating another account)
  • Are there any network firewalls or routing on your home network?
  • Is there a significant speed difference between your home and work networks (or, does it work on iPhone/iPad when they're connected to your home network)?

I understand these questions are a little in the weeds, but this is an odd one! I'm really hoping one of the fixes in tonight's release gets things sorted out for you, but it's hard to make sure things are fixed (or guarantee that a release will fix something!) if I can't replicate it on my side. Doing my best though; I'll follow-up sooner if things don't start working tonight! Sorry about all this!

Update: tonight's release is now live. I'm preeeetty sure it should fix things, but it's hard to be 100% sure. I'd love to hear back (at your convenience) whether you're still having issues! Thank you!

@ladysamxoxo

Thanks for the follow up.

Still can't edit. I've checked out other types of pages because I was looking mainly at my characters (I don't play with those as much as I do characters), but I can edit everything but those. Character pages will just spin and spin and spin, and then error out.

In regards to the list of questions…

• Not character pages, no. Everything else is fine, as stated above.
  • I do not have one so I couldn't say.
  • I checked to see. It says there is, so I tried turning it off, but it didn't do anything to fix the problem. Just a ton more spinning.
  • When at work my phone and tablet are connected to the same network as my work computer. When at home, they are connected to the same network as well.

Soooo yeah that's where I'm at. :/

@ladysamxoxo Thanks for letting me know. I've got a couple other things to try on my end that I'll get into tonight's release. I appreciate your answers.

One more quick question while I'm digging in further, if you don't mind: when character pages spin and spin, then error out, would you mind letting me know what the error page looks like? We have a white page with a red "Application Error" box, a Notebook.ai-branded "Error 500" page, or potentially even the browser's default "Can't load this page" error page. I don't actually see any errors on my end, so that's pointing back toward something on the computer causing issues connecting, but I don't know why that'd only be the case on those specific pages.

Either way, sorry again for all this. I've got a couple things to try tonight and I'll update here when they're live.

@ladysamxoxo

It takes about 15 minutes to show up but this is what happens:

"This page isn’t working
www.notebook.ai didn’t send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"

And it's still spinning actually

Thanks for letting me know. A quick side note on that: we automatically error and stop trying to load the page if any single page takes longer than 25 seconds to fully load, so if you ever see it spinning for longer than that, it'll probably spin forever (or, until Chrome decides to give up).

Tonight's update is also live. I have a few more potential fixes in the works that just went live, and I also just manually tried to edit a couple of your characters (but made no changes!) and it seemed responsive and worked, but of course that might just be something specific to one computer versus another. In addition to the update tonight, I've also done some data crunching to prepopulate some data that would otherwise try to calculate on page load to make the pages faster to load and hopefully fix the problem from that angle – as a result, your "recently edited pages" might be out of order since they were all updated on the backend, but there weren't actually any changes to your actual pages.

I'm hopeful that things are fixed but I'm going to operate under the assumption that they aren't until I've heard from and keep investigating, just so I'm not constantly asking, "Is it working yet?" I hope it is, but I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow in case it isn't.

@ladysamxoxo

Unfortunately it's still not working. :/

I used to be able to edit these pages on this same computer all the time, and I can't remember when it stopped working or what was different around that time. I know it has to be something computer related, since everything else is still working fine, I just need to investigate what might be wrong.

@ladysamxoxo

Quick update: I created another account and it's letting me edit characters over there soooooo….. I'm thinking it has something to do with all of the stuff I added to my character sheets over here.

@ladysamxoxo

Probably the final update: I downloaded Firefox for giggles to see if I could edit character pages, and it works! I don't know why Chrome and Edge don't work, but at least I found something to make it work on my home computer!

That's great news! I put out another small update or two on the backend, so it's possible something just happened to work, but I'm glad you found a way to make it work! It sounds like it may have just been some wonky setting in Chrome, so an update or reinstall there might also fix it someday also. In the meantime, it's nice to hear things are working again on your home computer!