forum "Set In Universe" Bug?
Started by @lunarballoons language
tune

people_alt 58 followers

@lunarballoons language

I'm having a crazy difficult time getting my Documents assigned using the "Set in Universe" when I'm editing my documents. :( At first I thought it was an issue because I wasn't able to add Documents to Universes where I was only a contributor (which I submitted a Bug Report on via the link), but I am both the owner of the Universe and the owner of the Document and despite it saying "Changes will be Saved" when I select a Universe, when I close the Document and reopen it's defaulted back to "No Universe Set".

So then I assumed it was because I was only editing the "About" and not the document itself which has the auto-save, so I tinkered around with the document for a bit editing it after I had picked the Universe. That all auto-saved. But when I closed the Document Editor and reopened, it had changed back to "No Universe Set" again. So that's not it.

Is this a bug with the feature, or am I doing something wrong? I'm not able to filter my documents by universe because none of the Universe options are saving. :(

@Eldest-God-andrew health_and_safety flash_onAdmin

@lunarballoons Thanks for letting me know, and sorry for not following up. I actually pushed out a fix thinking that it would fix the issue (because I'm now able to set your documents to a universe), but I guess not! Would you mind letting me know what browser you're using (Chrome, Firefox, etc) so I can make sure it's not a problem with the browser itself? Sorry again; I'll try to get it sorted out ASAP!

@lunarballoons language

No problem Andrew, I know you've got so much else you're working on! I'm on the latest version of Google Chrome and on Windows 10 PC. I have not tried to replicate the issue in a different browser, but I just tried it again just now on Google Chrome and it is the same problem.

Thanks for the details (and the understanding). I do all of my testing on Chrome (but on Linux), but I'll give Windows a shot and see if I can figure out how to replicate. I'd also be happy to manually assign any documents you have to a universe in the meantime if that'd be helpful – just PM what document and what universe! :)

@lunarballoons language

Just to give you an update, I tested it on both Chrome Version 89.0.4389.114 and Firefox version 87.0 (both latest patches according to the manual updates I ran) and it's happening the exact same way on both browsers. I also tested it with making edits to the actual documents itself and without doing anything but going in and setting the universe within About, same result regardless. It resets back to "No Universe Set" the moment you leave the window. Since it's happening on Firefox too it doesn't appear to be a browser-specific error. Hope this helps you further narrow it down!

@lunarballoons language

I definitely seem to be having less issues getting the universe to select and stay selected than I was before! Which is a huge step up from where it was!

There are a couple things still happening, but I don't know whether those are bugs or as a result of something else?

1. Once I make a selection of a Universe - despite what it says about changing the selection at any time, whichever was the first thing I picked stays that way, forever. Even if I set it back to "No Universe Set". This occurs whether I am the direct owner of both universes or not. I also have some documents that appear stuck on "No Universe Set" likely because I had selected that when I was trying to test the original bug.

Ordinarily this wouldn't be a big deal but because I was playing around with assigning everything when the original bug occurred, now my documents are all out of whack. xD I can always try to remove them and re-add though.

1. I'm still unable to set documents to a universe I'm only a contributor of about half the time. It's about a 50/50 shot whether or not it works. That may actually be because of the above issue though rather than a bug on its own? Because I was able to get it to work for a few of them, which is more than I could before.

@lunarballoons language

Minor update on the first one - if I went through and, in addition to changing the universe, changed the document title and attached pages to the doc, that seemed to allow the change to save no matter what Universe I changed it to. So I wonder if this is actually an issue with the "auto save" feature on the actual "Set in Universe" option? And that making those kind of hard edits to the page forced it to save differently. Editing the document text itself and receiving the 'saved!' confirmation did not appear to be enough in this case.

Thanks for the update!

Unfortunately last night's release only seemed to improve it in some circumstances and I ended up having to put in an extra fix (that I'm assuming is why it's working for you sometimes and not always) that basically just waits 2 seconds after the page loads and tries again to make sure autosaving and everything has loaded correctly. In most cases autosave (and changing universes) should work correctly as soon as the page loads, but if it doesn't work then.. then it should (hopefully) start working about 2 seconds after the page loads (which might be relevant here if you're changing universes quickly!).

Either way, I wasn't happy with last night's fix since it didn't fix it 100% of the time so I'm back at it again today. I'll try to get a better fix in tonight's release but I'm still trying to investigate why it's acting the way it is, so I don't want to promise it tonight. Your detailed information helps a lot though!