forum What book did you see turned into a much worse movie?
Started by @wren-has-mommy-issues group
tune

people_alt 63 followers

@wren-has-mommy-issues group

We all have that book (or books) that we loved so much, and once we saw it was being turned into a movie, you were excited, right? Only to be disappointed with a movie that can't even compare to the book. This is the case in most situations, in my personal opinion, so tell me yours!
(mine is beautiful creatures by kami garcia. the movie just didn't do it for me-)

Deleted user

I had the opportunity to watch it for the first time on DVD and it had commentary and all, so I could tell that everybody there was just having fun with the source material…but… Ella Enchanted. The original book wasn't exactly "literature destined to be a film instead of a movie", but I expected better than a live action wannabe-Shrek.

The Avalon High adaptation made no sense. It wasn't that King Arthur couldn't be reincarnated into a girl, it's that there was no buildup to that because that wasn't the twist in the book. Why wasn't Jennifer cheating on Allie with Lance, then?? They just didn't think that their target audience would know (or care to find out) who the Lady of Shalott was.

While the casting, the costumes, and cinematography were appropriate, I actually didn't like the Stardust adaptation. Victoria in the movie was too much of a stereotypical mean girl, and that wasn't the case at all in the book. Plenty of people like the pirate subplot, and I guess that was a generally positive message (of, yeah, it's totally all right to let dudes loudly and misogynistically disrespect you if you know that they're working through image issues and identity issues—no), but I also thought it lacked subtlety and dimension. It's a serious issue that they didn't take seriously in a movie that didn't take anything seriously. It was awfully performative.

The movie version of His Dark Materials actually got Nicole Kidman cast in it when that part was written for her…but, eh, too much shiny trying-too-hard-to-be-epic CGI. I'm glad they did a miniseries remake, but then again, I haven't watched the miniseries remake. I've heard they changed some things so that Asriel isn't as morally ambiguous, which would be disappointing.

@Tidermelon group

I haven’t actually watched it, but from what I’ve read of the plot, the Artemis Fowl movie sounds horrible. I mean, they fused together the first two books, which are in complete contrast to each other and are not meant to be put into one.

@spacebluelily language

Four words. The Percy Jackson movies.

Ikr?! The movies were so disappointing

They really were. I remember reading the books as a kid, and then a couple of years later, I was really excited when I found out there were movies, but when I finished watching them, I felt more disappointed in the movies than in myself. In conclusion, those were crap, and I'll gladly like to pretend they never existed. Hopefully, the Percy Jackson series on Disney+ will be better than the movies.

@PastelTart

Four words. The Percy Jackson movies.

Ikr?! The movies were so disappointing

They really were. I remember reading the books as a kid, and then a couple of years later, I was really excited when I found out there were movies, but when I finished watching them, I felt more disappointed in the movies than in myself. In conclusion, those were crap, and I'll gladly like to pretend they never existed. Hopefully, the Percy Jackson series on Disney+ will be better than the movies.

I had actually seen the movies before I read the books, but after reading the books, I was like 'Yeah, this is honestly better than the movies.' I mean, come ON! No wonder Rick Riordan never watched them. It's like, why would they have 12 year olds being played by 16 year olds? Yeah, they were good actors, but really?

@DuckDuck487

Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar Children. I just revisited the movie and now that I've read the books, I have now realized that they changed 3/4 of the original plot. The movie's depiction of hollows is cool, but they kind of look a little too much like Slenderman than the actual book description. Also the twins came out of nowhere(though I do think they have something to do with the twins in the second book)! And they switched Olive and Emma's Peculiarities which I think was only for the purpose of having that bonding moment of putting the squirrel back in the tree.

@Kevin-Arthur-is-Gentleman

Uhm, Maze Runner. I read the books when I was about 16 years old, and immediately fell in love with the series. (The characters were poorly done, though Newt was certainly my favorite, but the plot— oh, good grief. It was so interesting.) I was really excited when I found out there was a movie, too… and intensely disappointed when I tried to watch it. I literally hate the movies. The books are good, though I think James Dashner sucks at character development and is a terrible writer in that regard (Thomas was bland and moronic, in my unprofessional opinion), but I loved the entire plot and setting.

@Nor_bananas

I know this is a dead post but OMG DID NICKELODEON KILL THSI BOOK ESCAPE FROM MR.LEMONCELLO'S LIBRARY OMG THEY CHANGED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT EXEPT A FEW THINGS IT WOULD BE EASEIR TO NAME THE THINGS THEY DIDN'T CHANGE THAN THE THINGS THEY DID LIKE WFF TJDBIDBDHDHCGIRKJSJSJDJGJCJFBFNMFFHKD

@PastelTart

Okay, so: The Babysitters' Club. I used to read the books a LOT, and then Netflix makes a series out of it. Honestly, my only complaints are the fact that they made Kristi seem so much meaner than in the books, and they completely changed Dawn's appearance. The books clearly state that she is blonde, though I understand that the actress they chose was the one they thought best fit the role. Other than that, I didn't really have any problems with it.

@Starfast group

Most of the obvious ones have been mentioned already, but I'm going to add in Maximum Ride. For anyone who liked the books and didn't know that there was a movie, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that 1. There is in fact a movie, and 2. It is so terrible it makes you think that the Percy Jackson movies weren't all that bad. If you liked the books, then you were probably better off not knowing this.
0/10. Do not recommend this movie, regardless of how you felt about the books.

@wren-has-mommy-issues group

alsoooooo i have mixed emotions about the giver ? the modern one, it's on netflix, and i had just recently read the book, so i watched it, and- idk ??? like it wasn't bad, wasn't terrible, but was definitely very different. did it ruin it ?? no, but just the differences were very large. again, though, not a bad movie .