forum Anyone Know About Misophonia?
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 62 followers

Deleted user

One of my characters has misophonia, and I was curious as to whether anyone here has it or knows anyone else that has it? I'm not quite sure how to write reactions to trigger sounds, or what exactly could be a trigger sound. Would it be unrealistic, for example, for my misophonic character to be a drummer? Any input would be appreciated!

@Becfromthedead group

My roommate has misophonia. I don't know a ton about it, but I can try to help.

• Usually people with misophonia have a specific trigger or handful of triggers, so your character could be completely unbothered by all sounds musical but have trigger noises. For my roommate in particular, he is triggered by chewing noises and similar things. I think also babies crying is an issue, but not as much. Triggers vary between people.
  • It usually causes extreme irritability or discomfort in the person experiencing it iirc. I found out my roommate had misophonia by accidentally setting it off :( He's usually pretty chill, but his demeanor changed like that. Seemed pretty angry, and I was a little taken aback. We haven't had any issues since though, since I'm mindful of the problem.
    You could definitely stand to do more research on what specific noises trigger different people's misophonia. Would probably help a lot.

Deleted user

My roommate has misophonia. I don't know a ton about it, but I can try to help.

• Usually people with misophonia have a specific trigger or handful of triggers, so your character could be completely unbothered by all sounds musical but have trigger noises. For my roommate in particular, he is triggered by chewing noises and similar things. I think also babies crying is an issue, but not as much. Triggers vary between people.
  • It usually causes extreme irritability or discomfort in the person experiencing it iirc. I found out my roommate had misophonia by accidentally setting it off :( He's usually pretty chill, but his demeanor changed like that. Seemed pretty angry, and I was a little taken aback. We haven't had any issues since though, since I'm mindful of the problem.
    You could definitely stand to do more research on what specific noises trigger different people's misophonia. Would probably help a lot.

This was really helpful, thank you! And I agree on the research aspect, though I also like to hear it from others because it's more personal experiences over a list of symptoms or common triggers. Thank you again!! c:

@lemon-gummy group

Try to get a set of sounds instead of just loud sounds-high frequencies are common, and so are chewing sounds. Usually when a trigger is set off for me, it makes me really frustrated and angry. I, and others with misophonia, try to stop the sound with almost whatever it takes, which can make some interesting scenes for your character

@lemon-gummy group

Try to get a set of sounds instead of just loud sounds-high frequencies are common, and so are chewing sounds. Usually when a trigger is set off for me, it makes me really frustrated and angry. I, and others with misophonia, try to stop the sound with almost whatever it takes, which can make some interesting scenes for your character

Also, when making your character a drummer, make them avoid the symbols or whatever they're called, I can't stand those. Or It's just me :')