forum Digital Artists?
Started by @vibe
tune

people_alt 55 followers

@vibe

Not sure if this counts as skillsharing, but I was wondering if anyone who does digital art could recommend a drawing tablet?

I'm looking to get one, but I have no idea what to look for. I'd appreciate the help!

@appendix

i use a huion h610 pro, its been going strong for around three and a half years now no problem. It's been marked down to $50 (when i bought it it was 80), which is pretty cheap as far as tablets go. It's not a screen tablet but honestly you don't need a screen tablet unless you're a professional artist.
Other than that, absolutely do NOT buy any ugee brand tablets. they may be cheap but the last 2 i had (before the huion) were awful-pen pressure always breaking, leaving random dots everywhere, the works. good luck in your search!

@EmpressOfLame

Depends on your budget, and the device you use.

If you use a PC, you can get a pen tablet without a screen like a Wacom Intuos or a screen tablet like a Cintiq. Screen tablets are more expensive but are considered easier to use, while pen tablets are cheaper but take a bit of time to get used to.
I'd personally recommend a pen tablet over a screen tablet.

If you use a phone to draw, it might be a bit more difficult to find a pressure-sensitive tablet or stylus that is compatible with Android or iOS. I can't find many though, so I can't really give examples for this kind of device.
If you use an iPad, there's the Apple Pencil, however, it's quite expensive.

Overall, I'd say that screenless pen tablets are best if you're trying out digital. There are some great inexpensive tablets out there, and if you find one that you like, make sure that it's compatible with your device and that it has a decent working area. (small or medium should do)