forum Plant Parents
Started by @ladybug_academia group
tune

people_alt 58 followers

@ladybug_academia group

Any and all houseplant parents are welcome, aspiring ones too!

Feel free to…

• Engage in plant related conversation
  • Ramble on about your plants, I won’t stop you
  • Share your favorite plants (such as photos of your own and/or ones on your wishlist!)
  • Ask questions about plant care (I don’t claim to be an expert, so anyone can chip in to answer questions!)
  • Share tips related to plant care
  • And anything else pertaining to outdoor/indoor plant babies!!

As for rules…
For legal reasons, discussion about illegal/regulated plants is restricted.
Other than that, this is gonna be a pretty chill forum, doesn’t have to be insanely active. As long as Andrew’s rules are followed we should be good :)

@The-N-U-T-Cracker

my one baby plant unfortunately died after falling off the table, but I’d like to learn some tips for once I get my next one
how do I properly grow a tiny cacti from a seed?

@sock group

I got a small pot of succulents once, but I forgot to water them for a few weeks, and they died.
I'm a bad plant parent - sorry my children TT

@ladybug_academia group

my one baby plant unfortunately died after falling off the table, but I’d like to learn some tips for once I get my next one
how do I properly grow a tiny cacti from a seed?

Oh noo I’m sorry to hear that!! I’ve never grown cacti from a seed before, but after a google search and prior knowledge I would suggest using a quick draining plant soil specifically for cacti and succulents (I got mine from just a local grocery store). From what I read you can put the seed on top of the moist soil, push it down to level it with the surface of the soil, and cover it lightly with some compost :)
(Here’s the link that gives some more specific instructions if it’s helpful! https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-cacti-from-seed/)

@ladybug_academia group

How the hell does one grow a bonsai? I wanna try gardening again, because I kinda have the opposite of a green thumb.

Oo that I don’t know, but I really want to find out too! I’d l o v e to have a bonsai tree but, alas, my bank account says no
;-;

@Becfromthedead group

Bonsai trees definitely require a lot more care, so they aren't great starter plants, but omg, they're so lovely, and I would love to get one eventually.
Currently I have a haworthia, a little cactus, a kalanchoe, 2 donkey ears, an aloe, 3 rosemary plants, a baby sage plant, and I think that's it for my indoor plants.
I also have a tea garden with chamomile, echinacea, lavender, lemon balm, and mint. And I have an herbal garden with oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, and marjoram. I also had a cilantro but it got destroyed by aphids.

@ladybug_academia group

Oo that’s awesome! How much room outside do the tea and herbal garden take up? I’ve always loved the sound of an herb garden but I don’t have much space

I‘ve got a burro’s tail, a snake plant, a starfish sanseveria, and a bear paw. They’re all still pretty much babies.
The burro’s tail I’ve had the longest, about a year, but it’s got a while to go to fill out completely. I scattered a few leaves around the soil in the pot it’s in, so hopefully they’ll grow into strands and help it bush out some more.

@Becfromthedead group

Ah, nice. I'm thinking of getting one to put in my betta fish's tank. I already have another aquatic plant in there, but marimo moss balls are very good and cute.
I also thought about getting some shrimp friends for the tank (not a plant, but still fun)

@Elder-God-Whisper work

I have two little succulents, named Ender and Elowen, an they are my precious babies, but, has anyone else have succulents get like, leggy, and spread out with long leaves?? Elowen is concerning me even though they look healthy… (And yes, I name my plants, don’t judge me.)

@ladybug_academia group

Hmm in my experience as long as the leaves look plump and healthy I would think they’re alright? Always worth it to make sure tho depending on specific plants. Which type of succulents are they? (It’s ok lol, I name my plants too)

@ladybug_academia group

If it’s an option for you, I use a free plant identification app. I’ve probably used it way too many times with plants from stores that didn’t have their name on the labels lmao

@SpookyScarySnoteleks group

Okay so every day after lunch, I go sit on a bench by my school's field. One day, a little sprout popped up, looks like your everyday sprout. But it's so cute and I don't want it to die in the winter
So I've decided that sometime before first frost, I'm gonna come to school with a little flower pot and a smol shovel, and at the end of the day before I go home, I'm gonna dig it up and take it home with me because it's baby