forum Raindrop Cafe: The Backlit Streets // rp // open to all and always open
Started by @PaperHats business
tune

people_alt 57 followers

@PaperHats business

(This idea is very loosely inspired by the video game “Coffee Talk.” Also gonna quickly tag @LittleRiver (Lysander))

There’s a small shop, with those soft wooden walls only separated by panes of glass. Rain somehow always patters on the flat roof, where various plants and flowers prosper and grow. There’s a few lawn chairs out there, accompanied by a small umbrella and a side table. We very rarely get visitors who brave it. Although, some actually find it quite nice.
The inside is cozy— that’s the best word to describe it. There’s a bar with comfortable wooden stools, and a few booths on the other side. There’s also a few plants here as well. They all have names.
As for me? I’m the barkeep. My name is Tamerra, though you can call me Merra, if you’d like.
This is my cafe, although it doubles as a center for all you lost souls. I run it right alongside my partner, Lysander, who shows up to greet members time to time. It only opens at midnight, and closes at five in the morning. I can’t give you an exact location, for, you see, it travels. People just come across it. Call me an acosmist, but for all I know, it doesn’t even exist. I’ve heard people cannot recall it once they left, and often awake in their own beds come sun-up.
I believe it is here for anyone who needs it. Or maybe it’s simply for me, as I am selfish when it comes to asking for your stories. I really love hearing about people’s lives. Every person is writing their own narrative, and I’d love to assist you when you have chinks in writing it.
So, my dear friend, take a seat, and I’ll get you a cup of coffee.

Welcome, to the Raindrop Cafe.

This is basically a venting chat, but for your character. Perhaps they had a very rough day, and came across this place on their way home. It’s a totally open idea to not break any canonical adventures you may be having, while still allowing a place for your characters to show their real selves. It’s more of a writing exercise, so you can really break down your characters and see what makes them tick. No sheets, no links, no character templates. Just come in, take a seat, and speak.

(Please keep this in normal rp format, though. Also, if your character comes back more than once, they will not remember the previous time at all (except for some exceptions, if you want))

Also, I will have a starter posted by either myself or Ray, so wait for that. Afterward, though, everything is fair game :)

• Quick note: Ray and I will be simultaneously writing both Lysander and Tamerra, just so we have people attentive to the actions preceding within the cafe. That does not mean anyone else can control anyone else’s character. Please refrain from doing so, and only control your own character.

Updates here:

• We have a playlist now! Go to this link to listen to the Raindrop Cafe’s soundtrack :)

@PaperHats business

It was a rainy evening, but wasn’t it always? The pitter patter on the rooftop and the sidewalk outside cast a comforting atmosphere, as the little sounds intertwined with music drifting from the diminutive speakers. Tamerra strode across the floor, dress shoes tapping softly to a stop as he reached for the sign stationed upon the door.

The second the grandfather clock struck midnight, the man flipped the hanging paper from ‘closed’ to ‘open.’ He propped the glass door with a small rock, the newly turned lights casting a warm glow on the ground.

He then turned, brushing the black hair from his eyes with a gloved hand and adjusting his tie short after. He took up his post again at the bar, leaning on it from behind with a gentle smile. He absently hummed to the music, eyes dancing around the room as he waited for his first guest of the night.

@LittleRiver local_movies

Lysander descended the ladder from the rooftop, skipping the last two rungs and landing swiftly on the floor. He was dressed in roughly the same attire as Tamerra, a collared shirt, vest, slacks, and dress shoes— accompanied by an overcoat, but that was a difference. Although, Lys had a bow tie instead. He refused to wear anything different.
With a charming smile he took off his coat, hanging it up on the rack beside the ladder and sighing. He gazed around the shop, squinting as he tried to adjust to the light.
“I’m not sure why I’m the one who always has to put up the umbrella,” he laughed, his voice hoarse but soft as he passed the bartender, taking up his own station behind the counter. He opened a few cabinets at the bottom, crouching over to grab a sack of coffee beans.
“I’d be happy to do it, if you’d like,” Tamerra replied, still gazing whistfully at the door.
“No, no,” Lys said, waving his hand in dismissal. “I’ll keep doing it. Just thinking aloud.”
“I see.”
“Are you ready for tonight?”
“Of course,” Merra responded, turning around so his back was against the counter. “If not excited.”
“You always are.”
“Can you blame me?”
Lysander met the other man’s eyes, a smile twitching across his face. “Not at all.”

@SpookyScarySnoteleks group

Azami entered the shop, her blue hair dripping with rainwater. She stopped at the bar, examining the menu.
"What'll keep me awake for the longest?" The woman evidently hadn't slept in a while, this was given away by the bags under her eyes and rumpled clothes.

@PaperHats business

Tamerra cocked his head with a welcoming smile, turning back around to face the new guest.
“Perhaps an espresso, double shot. Depends on how much you like the taste of coffee. Do you have a preference?” Merra asked, glancing from the woman to Lysander, before the other man nodded and busied himself with preparations.

@maddie-the-unknown

It wasn't often that Isabelle departed from the rest of her "family." She loved them to death, she really did, and always wanted to protect them, but sometimes, she just needed a little bit of time to herself. Her depression and anxiety had been spiking up recently, and as she walked down the dark, rainy streets of Japan, she lifted her head ever so slightly. She could hear the faint sound of… music, she thought it was, in the distance. It surprised her; Isabelle often took walks in the middle of the night when she needed time to herself, but this was the only time she'd heard music.

It didn't take long before Isabelle saw the glow of the light from inside the building she could see in the distance. Come to think of it, I am rather cold, might as well stop by for a coffee, hm? she thought to herself on impulse, and broke into a sprint as she ran towards the building. As she approached it, the sign that announced what it was, the Raindrop Cafe, came into view. "The Raindrop Cafe, huh?" she muttered softly to herself as she stepped into the cafe.

Her head down, Isabelle slowly wandered over to the bar, knowing all too well that she shouldn't be there, but couldn't stop herself. Iz, what are you thinking? Sherry will kill you if she finds out you came back drunk! she scolded herself. Giving a little sigh, she pushed herself (and the stool she had sat down on) just a little bit farther away from the countertop. "What's your strongest non-alcoholic drink?" Isabelle grumbled, not too happy that she still could think straight. Oh, how she wished she was able to just… drown everything out. Must be nice, she thought.

"I'll take one of those, then. And a cupcake, too, please. I don't really care what kind." The woman's stomach grumbled, and Azami grinned weakly. "Make that two cupcakes."
She glanced up at the ladder, a curious expression on her face. "Can you sit up there?"

“Oh sure, you can sit up there, but it’s quite rainy,” Lysander replied, getting up from beneath the counter. His red hair fell into his eyes as he did so, having to brush it aside as he stood straight. The coffee machine had flicked on in the back, a small orange light to show it was warming up. Lys then stepped aside, putting on his own gloves and grabbing two cupcakes with paper towels. He set them gently on the counter, giving a small nod to the woman to take a seat.
“What might your name be, miss?” he asked softly, cocking his head.

Meanwhile, Tamerra was occupied with the other woman who had just strode in, his face alight with juvenile excitement and wonder.
“Welcome to the Raindrop Cafe,” he cooed happily. Although upon her next question, he looked rather confused.
“You’re in luck— we don’t sell alcohol here anyway,” Merra chuckled. “Although we do have some tea that calms the soul. It works wonders if you’re looking to relax. How about it?”

Lysander nodded, adverting his eyes to the side and giving a slight laugh.
“Yeah, we get that a lot,” he said, turning back around to prepare the espresso. He looked back over his shoulder, golden eyes resting upon the woman’s. “What brings you here?”

Azami shrugged, taking a bite of one of the cupcakes. "Dunno. I couldn't sleep again, so I started wanderin', and now I'm here." She yawned and rubbed her eyes, then ran her finger back across the bar. The woman's mismatched eyes followed her scarred hand back and forth, and soon enough she was spelling out words.

“I see. That’s usually how people find us,” Lysander replied, taking the small espresso cup and a matching plate, sliding it onto the counter gently. “Here you are.”
He then propped himself on the counter like Tamerra had before, giving a warm hum as he did so.
“So, who are you?” he asked, then realized how vast the question was. “Or, I mean, where are you from? What do you do? Tell me about yourself a little. I can’t help but be curious.”

@maddie-the-unknown

Meanwhile, Tamerra was occupied with the other woman who had just strode in, his face alight with juvenile excitement and wonder.
“Welcome to the Raindrop Cafe,” he cooed happily. Although upon her next question, he looked rather confused.
“You’re in luck— we don’t sell alcohol here anyway,” Merra chuckled. “Although we do have some tea that calms the soul. It works wonders if you’re looking to relax. How about it?”

"Does this tea you speak of…" Isabelle trailed off, trying to figure out how to word it correctly. "…let you just take a break from reality?"

I think that's the right phrase. Is it the right phrase? I hope so, she thought to herself. Though, it would be nice to take a break from reality. Just forget the outside world ever existed.

Tamerra chuckled once more, nodding.
“I suppose,” he replied, looking down at his hands while he took the correct ingredients out. He glanced back up to the woman, attentive to the conversation at hand.
“But, I’ve also heard that just being in this cafe is technically a break from reality. You’re welcome to stay as long as you’d like, of course. And, may I get your name? Not because we need one for orders, just simply because I am curious.”

@maddie-the-unknown

"Ah, that's good to hear," she replied, eyes wandering around the small room. "I'm Isabelle, by the way. Isabelle Cream," she added.

After a smol silence, Isabelle looked up at the male in front of her to ask, "…if I may, what's yours? Your name, I mean aha."

@PaperHats business

“Tamerra,” he replied kindly, nodding along. “I’m the owner of this place. It’s nice to meet you.”
He walked over to the coffee maker, pulling the tab and filling a cup with steaming water. Carefully, he dipped in a tea bag, then a small drop of honey. The leaves tended to be quite sweet already, so only a little was needed.
He swirled it around, then walked back over, sliding it onto the table in front of her.
“It’s a blend we made here. Chamomile sunflower, and it has quite a sweet taste. Enjoy.”
He then rested his elbows on the table, awaiting her reaction.
“And what brings you to the Raindrop? Not to be nosey, pardon me for my inquiry.”

@maddie-the-unknown

Isabelle didn't drink tea often, but she hesitantly lifted the cup to her lips, staring down into the hot liquid. It wasn't long before she immediately withdrew the cup, the tea having burned her tongue. Perfect, she thought to herself. At least I can focus on this instead of the world outside.

"Ah, needed some time to myself away from my family again. I'm surprised I didn't find this cafe earlier, it's not unusual for me to do this often. And it's quite alright, answering questions make for a good distraction," Isabelle added, answering Tamerra's questions. "Oh, and it's nice to meet you, Tamerra, I suppose."

“Time away, you say?” Tamerra replied, taking a stray coffee cup and placing it back where it belonged. “Then this is the perfect place. As for you not finding it earlier? It tends to do that. Tricky little place this is. Not many people notice it. Suppose that’s not the best for business, but we manage.”
Lysander nodded along to his words, agreeing with each and every one of them.
“But… then again, we don’t charge anyway,” Merra continued, smiling sheepishly. “So I guess ‘business’ is technically out of the picture. It’s a wonder how we stay standing.”
He then glanced from Lys back to the woman, offering a small nod.
“So… why are you needing an escape? Of course, you don’t have to tell me. But maybe a stranger’s shoulder to lean on wouldn’t be such a bad thing, no?”

@maddie-the-unknown

"Hm, I see…" Isabelle muttered, her eyes focused on the swirling dark liquid in the cup she was holding. And once again, she attempted to sip it, finding that it was just a bit hot, but not boiling, and it did indeed taste nice. "Oh, and thank you for the tea. It tastes wonderful," she added, glancing the slightest bit up at Tamerra and smiling ever so slightly.

"And an escape… eh, it's nothing more than the usual, just my depression and anxiety flaring up again, but I'll get through it, I always do," she continued, finally answering Tamerra's question. After all, I have to be okay. Right? I'll be okay, I have to be, Isabelle told herself, looking back at the tea.

Tamerra nodded, his smile turning slightly more melancholic than it had before. He looked down, blue eyes dancing across the table. He took it more casually than someone normally would. But who could blame him? They got lots of visitors with the same story. That was the entire point of the cafe.
“Ah, I see,” he replied, adjusting his tie. “But I do like your confidence. I have no doubt you’ll get through it, as well. I like to see that optimism in a person. You seem like a tough one.”
He looked back up, keeping his hands propped on the table as he crossed his feet behind him.
“Even so, I hope you find what you’re looking for here. The tea works wonders, if for just making someone feel warm.”