forum Writing tips?
Started by @Rainy_is_back
tune

people_alt 52 followers

@Katastrophic group

besides practice

Something I like to do to improve my story ideas and writing is to watch movies or shows and sort of study how and why each scene happens. I watch movies I've seen a bunch so the plot doesn't distract me (disney is great). This is super helpful for analyzing foreshadowing and world building without info dumping. Unfortunately if you do this a lot like me, you will always think "oh, they do this as a set up for this" and "sneaky foreshadowing there to explain this later" every time you re-watch something.

Also I know the advice "just write" sucks, but I've learned and improved so much by just sitting down and typing. Yeah, my first few chapters and most of my other chapters are really bad, it's just a first draft that I can go back and change. The best advice I've gotten for writing is that you can't change or edit what isn't there, so you might as well start somewhere.

@SpookyScarySnoteleks group

When developing characters, add 20 tiny details that the readers will never know. It really helps with development.
For example:
Hogwarts House
Favorite/Least Favorite Food
Favorite/Least Favorite Color

@Musical_Queen

I know that I am a little late, but take it from a person who writes screenplays:

If you're ever stuck in a fight scene or another part of your story, put a very broad idea of what you want there and keep going and try not to loose your momentum.

EX) There are some screenplay writers that go into depth and describe every single move that happens while others write "CHARACTER A takes down A GOON with a series of complex moves" and then keeps going.

Hope that helps

@Story_Siren group

Write what you know but don't be afraid to explore about the things you don't (just make sure you do research). Write what you like. Always write down an idea - even if you can only remember part of it.