forum Owning wolf-dogs
Started by @Oakiin
tune

people_alt 47 followers

@Yamatsu

WOLF DOGES?! That sounds awesome! I remember something about wolves being gigantic, so does that mean wolf dogs are generally larger than other breeds? What are some of the major traits within hybrids?

@Oakiin

Yes, high-content hybrids can be enormous! It does depend on what they're a mix of, but a 50-75% wolf will be quite large. not just in height, they will just take up space. They have a very powerful presence.
That being said, hybrids are a pain in the butt, and MORE than a handful. Even mine, who's less than 25%, is a lot to manage. Common traits of mid to high content hybrids are as follows:

Most high content wolf-dogs end up getting put down before the age of three because they are so wild. They're not domesticated, and need to be treated with a lot of respect.
That being said, hybrids can be loving and sweet and friendly too. With the right training, they can be as well behaved as the best dog. My sister knew one that was so well-behaved, it was allowed in the no-dogs library, and there's one at my workplace who, while being absolutely untrained whatsoever, is incredibly sweet and friendly.
So if you're a wolf expert, they might not be a bad option! They're just generally a sad case, because people want to own a wolf, and then they end up with a scared, unsocialized, crazy and aggressive wild animal that they can't control.
Hope that wasn't too much info!

@Yamatsu

That's really cool! One thing I have found with jumping dogs is that you can lightly knee them in the chest to knock them down, and they'll get the message. I accompany it with a firm "No!" and only knee them when they are standing up, paws on me so that they can fall down without hurting themselves. You especially don't want to knee them so hard they'll fall backward, and given that you have a wolf dog, that might mean a fight if you go that far.

@Oakiin

yes, that's one good technique! I try to adhere to a 'no touch' method of training for my baby girl however, given that she was abused before I got her :/ The one thing she hates more than anything else is me leaving, so that usually does the trick! (Plus I'm not super strict about jumping xD She's usually pretty gentle when she does xD)
Thanks!