forum Where in America should my character live?
Started by Deleted user
tune
Edit topic

people_alt 52 followers

Deleted user

Hi there! So, one of my character is this tough, friendly + loving, sporty + athletic African-American girl. She lives with her foster mum and several siblings because this woman likes to take in and look after orphaned children. I want her to be American (obviously) and from a rather rough + tough neighbourhood and they're just going to be a working-class, not particularly well-off family, but that doesn't obviously mean from the stereotypical "ghetto". Does anyone have any ideas of somewhere like this that would be well suited to my character? She was originally from Massachusetts, but as you may be able to tell, I'm British, and when I was looking into it the images I saw of Massachusetts didn't seem to match the kind of thing I was thinking of. Any suggestions (with the reasons why you think it'd be a good hometown for my girl) would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Deleted user

Try umm. . .Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A?

I'll take a look - thanks!

Deleted user

I think NC, not a specific place, but somewhere there, or South Carolina!

Cool, thank you for your reply!

Deleted user

Yeah, I live in Maryland and I think this would be the place for you.

Depending on if you want more city than country, I would edge up closer up the east coast to DC, right between MD and DC. However, of you want a more child-friendly/democratic area where your girl can fit in, I’d suggest the belly of Maryland, especially the Northeast part. MD is an amazing state (maybe biased) for it is balanced quite nicely with Liberals and Conservatives, so there’s actually a lot less butting heads. People in MD are most likely educated and minimum wage is 10.10 (it means it’s pretty well off lol).

Deleted user

Depending on if you want more city than country, I would edge up closer up the east coast to DC, right between MD and DC. However, of you want a more child-friendly/democratic area where your girl can fit in, I’d suggest the belly of Maryland, especially the Northeast part. MD is an amazing state (maybe biased) for it is balanced quite nicely with Liberals and Conservatives, so there’s actually a lot less butting heads. People in MD are most likely educated and minimum wage is 10.10 (it means it’s pretty well off lol).

Wow, this was really helpful - thanks a bunch for the advice! :)

Deleted user

California!! (First place that came to mind. When I read sports I thought volleyball)

Huh, I hadn't considered California before, but one of my other characters (I have five) is currently set to be from there. Thanks for your reply! :)

Deleted user

Wow, this was really helpful - thanks a bunch for the advice! :)

You’re absolutely welcome! If you need any more info about how it runs/legislation or whatever, just toss me a PM, okay? I’m here to help out.

@PastelTart

California!! (First place that came to mind. When I read sports I thought volleyball)

Huh, I hadn't considered California before, but one of my other characters (I have five) is currently set to be from there. Thanks for your reply! :)

I think I thought of it because of a show called Saved By The Bell.

Zimrah

I was also going to say Maryland or DC. (Also from Maryland myself, a Baltimore suburb). It was interesting to read further and see a couple of people suggest it.

Deleted user

lemme tell u about Washington, beautiful. If she's sporty we got lots of trails around the Cascades and we got some good rain forests. Seattle is also a great place to visit since its so full of cultural and physical diversity! If you already got a place for your character that's ok but its a lovely place to visit anyway. I mean it is across the country from the place her family was at originally, so I guess its a bit impractical?

Deleted user

I was also going to say Maryland or DC. (Also from Maryland myself, a Baltimore suburb). It was interesting to read further and see a couple of people suggest it.

damn i didn’t see this and as soon as I saw baltimore i was like ooooo baltimore

I live in the sixth district lmao

@JasperHills

Seattle, Washington or Lynnwood, Washington.

A lot of good places for running, hiking, any type of sport. It has a lot of different mixtures of culture as well! Just depends on where you are going or who invites you.

Deleted user

Seattle, Washington or Lynnwood, Washington.

A lot of good places for running, hiking, any type of sport. It has a lot of different mixtures of culture as well! Just depends on where you are going or who invites you.

I've been there myself and it's pretty nice

@CrystalDior

Living in the rural South can emulate that feeling of rough living without being that stereotypical urban, "ghetto" setting. Kentucky, Tennessee, and Indiana could have some good options, especially if you wanted a more small town vibe

Deleted user

Hi all! I just wanted to say that I didn't realize that people were still responding to this and I am just so thankful for all the wonderful feedback! Currently, for the sake of not getting too hung up on it and stalling my story, I'm loosely setting her hometown in Maryland as a few people suggested it solidly and when I looked, it visually also felt pretty fitting too. However seeing all this other great suggestions, I might at a later date do some more looking around (namely into Washington and more South areas which are also some great strong suggestions! Thank you!) and change it if I think I find something better. Thank you all - again! - for all your wonderful help! I really appreciate it!! x

@betsy.cant.write

Idk if you still are looking but I saw that you were looking into Washington and as a Seattle native I'm recommending it :) If you're interested in Seattle I'd suggest looking into Rainer Beach, West Seattle, and The International District, (and tons of others I can think of), they're all really diverse areas where most of the working class lives and they can be sketchy but still generally safe. Also (I'm biased) but I've found that Seattle has lot's of good sensory details to write about (rain, the puget sound, traffic, coffee, and tons more) Hopefully this helped!