forum Weird stereotypes/clichés of races/species in your guys' worlds
Started by @primaldesire
tune

people_alt 74 followers

@primaldesire

Uhh, one that I have is that werewolves are either considered stupid jocks or handsome charmers. This has lead to a lot of weird stereotypes about them. So, like how in our world a lot of people think that like black people have really big, uuh, swords, a lot of people associate that with werewolves. It is also known to be associated with werewolves in my world to be thought of as overprotective. In some cases, this is actually true, but it just depends on how they were raised. Some are raised to protect and guard what is theirs but some are told to be protective, but not overly protective.
It is also thought that no demon should be trusted. While this pretty good advice since demons are known to be tricksters and greedy, this is not true in all cases. Like, one of my characters mother and her parents. They were demons but they were actually pretty nice.

@GoodThingGoing group

Humans are generally considered by fae as these slightly dim-witted and dull people who are easily tricked, and too brave/stupid to back down from a fight.
Fae are considered by humans to be these weird tricksters, and generally are considered cowardly for messing with humans instead of other fae their strength.

@standingondesks Know-it-all

Ohhh my time has come :D

Stereke are calculating, greedy, and they're also ALL business people. They also think they're better than everyone else.
Candanans are always looking for a fight, and are scarily good at it, plus they have a really stupid, old-fashioned concept of honour that makes them use weird titles ALL the time with EVERYONE.
Canretans are peace-loving diplomats who can't keep their noses out of other peoples' business, and are always trying to settle arguments wherever they come across them.
Lavoliszij have no concept of personal space, and are never loyal in relationships. They are also emotional and bad at making tough decisions.

(Will be back with more, probably)

@primaldesire

Humans are generally considered by fae as these slightly dim-witted and dull people who are easily tricked, and too brave/stupid to back down from a fight.
Fae are considered by humans to be these weird tricksters, and generally are considered cowardly for messing with humans instead of other fae their strength.

That's pretty similar to my world. Humans are considered dumb and rude who don't know how to take care of others, the world, and themselves. Fae's and other magick creatures who do magic are considered works by the devil by many religions and using magic is seen as lazy by humans because "they don't have to do work for it."

@standingondesks Know-it-all

(Edit, got ninja'd, I meant @@ToJynOrNotToJyn)
Lol everyone gets confused at this and one day I'll cave and rename their home moon (Candana… yeah.)

@Yamatsu

In my world, humans are the hairless monkeys that somehow figured out how to build things. Dragons are the pompous jerks who either break or set fire to things that they don't like, act very high and mighty because they "saved the world" from magic users. Wyverns are mindless beasts who simply run around and ruin human settlements or pick fights with dragons (Dragontongue and Wyverian are different, kind of like when that one Greek guy heard the Goths and other Germanic tribes speaking and thought they said "bar bar bar" and called them Barbarians).

@primaldesire

In my world, humans are the hairless monkeys that somehow figured out how to build things. Dragons are the pompous jerks who either break or set fire to things that they don't like, act very high and mighty because they "saved the world" from magic users. Wyverns are mindless beasts who simply run around and ruin human settlements or pick fights with dragons (Dragontongue and Wyverian are different, kind of like when that one Greek guy heard the Goths and other Germanic tribes speaking and thought they said "bar bar bar" and called them Barbarians).

"hairless monkeys", I like that.

Deleted user

My Demons (internationally, they're called Demons) are known for being animals who rape Human women and always hav the need for sex. They're also sterotyped to be the most dangerous race in my Universe, while they really aren't.
My Mind Readers are known for being flawless and can never make a mistake since… well… they can read minds! They're also known for being insufferably intelligent, which is not the case for a lot of MRs.
A race called Path Readers (basically people who can see the different paths you might take in life) are known for being paranoid and skittish, while most of the time it's quite the opposite.

@primaldesire

My Demons (internationally, they're called Demons) are known for being animals who rape Human women and always hav the need for sex. They're also sterotyped to be the most dangerous race in my Universe, while they really aren't.
My Mind Readers are known for being flawless and can never make a mistake since… well… they can read minds! They're also known for being insufferably intelligent, which is not the case for a lot of MRs.
A race called Path Readers (basically people who can see the different paths you might take in life) are known for being paranoid and skittish, while most of the time it's quite the opposite.

The demons one is very true with my world. Especially "the need for sex" for the succubus. Succubi or Incubi can rely on any kind of lust really. Whether it's others' lust or the lustful feeling from teasing. It's just more filling to have sex and easier. They can also go quite a long time without needing to feed again this way. Demons in my world are also stereotyped to be very powerful, but most lower-class demons, due to the deflation of magic using in my world, don't know how to use their powers or can't operate them well enough for daily use. They surely aren't the most dangerous, but if they know how to use and make their magic stronger they can be considered a big threat.

Also, with the mind readers, I can see that. You'd that being able to read minds would actually benefit you, but really it can also be kind of a pain cause you could interpret something wrong.

Deleted user

The demons one is very true with my world. Especially "the need for sex" for the succubus. Succubi or Incubi can rely on any kind of lust really. Whether it's others' lust or the lustful feeling from teasing. It's just more filling to have sex and easier. They can also go quite a long time without needing to feed again this way. Demons in my world are also stereotyped to be very powerful, but most lower-class demons, due to the deflation of magic using in my world, don't know how to use their powers or can't operate them well enough for daily use. They surely aren't the most dangerous, but if they know how to use and make their magic stronger they can be considered a big threat.

My Dark Demons (basically the most common typenof Demon in my Universe) are dependent on sex/lust too, so it's really funny that yours are too. But my Demons more of less find "mates" that they mingle with, since Dark Demons have a better lifestyle than the Humans in my Universe. Demons are ironically very respectable and open about their emotions to others, and have many ways to show it (like growling for anger, purring for happiness and so on).

i fickin love Demons man

@primaldesire

Dude, same. I love looking up info on like demons and other demonic shit it's so fun.

@primaldesire

Witches(or practically any magick-controlling human vessel) is seen as evil, an enemy of God, and something made by the Devil. This has caused many witches and wizards to be tossed out of their homes for being "evil." This has also related to many magick-outbursts, witches and wizards deaths(usually dealt by themselves), and overall many of them being poor and homeless. People are still taking their time to get used to these people coming into their daily lives.

Taylor

I have Element Children and Elves so far.

Since there is three, now two, types of Element Children, I have different personalities and stuff for them all;

Fire Children: Fierce warriors, fueled by their passion and emotion, sometimes getting too chaotic to control. They are sassy lil buggers most of the time. They can be short-tempered and loose their cool, but that doesn't happen usually. Their weapon of choice is usually sword or double daggers. Their corresponding Elves are much the same.

Ice Children: Cold and introverted, good warriors but they don't really care to admit it. They only open up to best friends, and then only reluctantly. They tend to be mild-mannered and kind, but can also explode if provoked. Weapon of choice for this race is usually a bow and arrow or their ice, which lowers their life expectancy by a lot. Again, their Elves are usually much the same.

I have a few characters that completely defy their stereotypes.

@Young-Dusty-the-Monarch-of-Dusteria group

Hapbringers are stereotyped by humans as naïve (or sometimes very wise), endlessly cheerful, and always willing to help. Deorns see them as weak and meddling. Intunera, the traditional rival of Hapbringers, assume they're all proud, quick to judge, and narrow-minded. In reality, Hapbringers are a diverse species and while it's true that most of them try to do only good in the world, each individual has a different idea of what's good and a unique way of doing it. And there have been some very selfish, unkind Hapbringers on occasion, but their fellows view them with great shame and rarely speak of them.

Deorns are seen by humans as dangerous, violent monsters that can't be befriended or trusted. Hapbringers have a certain respect and understanding for them, but often have the same basic view as humans on the matter. Intunera have nothing but scorn for Deorns and think of them as little more than dull-minded, useless animals. The truth is, Deorns are endlessly loyal, deeply in tune with nature, and usually only kill in self-defense. But they've been misunderstood and mistreated by the other races for a long time, and few are graceful enough to let go of their grudge. This causes them to act very aggressively towards outsiders, which only strengthens their nasty reputation.

Intunera have even worse stereotypes to their name than Deorns. Humans see them as mysterious and terrifying, and believe that there is no such thing as a 'good' Intunera. Habringers think of them as cunning, manipulative bringers of chaos who don't belong on Earth at all. Deorns don't really fear Intunera (they don't fear anything) but feel that they are deeply unnatural and rarely tolerate their presence for long. Sadly, many Intunera live up to expectations in full, only serving their own interests and taking joy in the misery of others. But there are many exceptions to this, and a growing movement of Intunera who are trying to break the old habits of their race. They're at a slight disadvantage because they're made of a kind of energy/matter that's toxic to literally all other races, but that doesn't stop them from trying.

Humans, now….they have their own reputation. Hapbringers are friendly towards them but often shy away from trusting them and see them as selfish, ambitious people who don't think about the consequences of their actions before it's too late. Many Intunera see humans as a large herd of dull, defenseless, ignorant creatures that can be easily tricked or used. Deorns are a mixed bag on the subject. Some hate humans with a passion due to times when humans mistreated them, assuming that humans can't see past their own noses and use base trickery to compensate for their weakness. But others think they're intriguing, despite how frail and self-absorbed they are. A few Deorns have even fallen in love with particularly strong or Deorn-like humans and gotten married to them (although the practice is frowned on by the majority of both races). Overall, when you remove the stereotypes, humans…..do in fact shamelessly rob and conquer and mistreat their fellow races, at least most of the time. But there is also a huge percentage of humans that do the exact opposite, so in the end it'll all even out….hopefully.

@Dorvakk

Sheptors are a type of carnivorous humanoid flying reptile race. They possess the main features of a human and of a dagon(dragon-like). Their stereotype is that they all are blockheads, and are not fit for academical exercises, although their known for complex metal combinations and advanced alchemy recipes. They are considered blockheads mainly because they purposely put on a facade for a strategical advance if they need it. They however completely don't expect close combat, because of the fact they live in a large and wide valley and can fly.

Elves are considered to be the equivalent of treehuggers in this world, although they do harvest wood for supplies, they mainly have a deep connection to the forest and respect the gods that look over them. They consider themselves Residents of the forest, as though they are residing in a city that is a forest. This mainly comes from the large human cities, as they are inexperienced when it comes to forest life and often resent forest dwellers for their choice of residence. However because the elves are some of the best creators of magical equipment, the humans respect them for their ancient arts and trade frequently with them. Dwarves are stereotyped in the same way, because they resides in mountains, and are often called moles, or earthworms.

A specific clan of elves, who reside in the desert, are often considered monks for their heavily clothes that protect them from the sharp crystallized sand specks, which in worse conditions, have been known to shred people apart. Monks however are stereotyped in this instance as well, as most monks where, little to no clothing inside the protection of their monasteries. These elves are called the Turmicles, and they are the providers of crystals that only grow in the harsh environments of the Gedu sandstorm basin of the desert.

Humans by almost every race, are considered greedy, as they always take the opportunities to expand their wealth or land even at the cost of others loss. Some lords and nobles have even gone as far, as to burn a village to claim the land of the deceased there. However this is a small majority of the human race and most humans have an instinct to look out for each other.

There are several others, but this would become a massive list, and you guys probably just want to read a short bit into my lore. Anyways thanks for reading this far!

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

The Mén tribe are thought of as the smart ones. People think they are very clever but also likely to swindle someone. They aren't as strong as the others, but you definitely want one if you're planning a heist or a business matter.

The Alfen are (according to the other tribes) a force to be reckoned with. Some hate them, some admire them, and some think they are powerful, but arrogant. But all agree they are not ones to make foes out of lightly.

The Dweorv tribe are thought of as great warriors. That's about it. Everyone knows them to be reasonably friendly, and even more practical than usual.

The Gobe-Lin are thought of as evil and of base nature. In fact they are highly discriminated against because their wild appearance leads others to believe them more animal than human.

@i_cast_decompose_on_myself

The Elves in my world are seen as pompous indignant pride-filled losers, but the king of Alvezog is a big fat father with a love for chicken and beef and is constantly getting hurt for no reason. I love King Hedimus, he's such a dad.
The Dwarves are seemingly insignificant when it comes to art, but truth-be-told, they're responsible for most of stonework, sculptures, and fountains around the world, but they are quite stubborn and hate the term "artist," preferring "metalworker".
Fae are little annoying pranksters, but really, they're the ones with the biggest hearts and the strictest rules, and they would never, in any situation, break their personal code of honor. They play little jokes to lighten the mood when things get dark, and they love humans in general because they're both the easiest to trick and the ones least likely to be angry about it.
Gnomes are sweethearts deep inside, but they prefer to hide their big hearts with humor and, pun-intended, stone-cold ignorance. They tend to care about everyone around them, and they help a lot with the Nolecial Elven Garden, due to the fact they love the plants more than real people. Their jokes are more for themselves, but they have a tendency to apologize profusely if a joke goes wrong.
Orcs are seen as disgusting, foul creatures, but really? They do what they feel is right. Convince them on your side and their undying loyalty is worth it beyond measure.
Oh, and humans? They are one of the least respected races but their courage is large, no matter how insignificant they may seem.

@LilMeme group

Upir: Zombies
Vampire: Sadistic perverts or romantic monster
Oni: Fugly friends that eat children either that or hot red anime girls with horns
Fairies: Gentle pushovers
Sorcerers: Pompous jerks
Angels: Self-righteous douches
Demon: Evil douches
God: Either purely good beings that can do no wrong or Egotistal jerkass who destroy their people for funzies seems like me tbh
Humans: No one cares

@Starfast group

I'm still kind of working on some of my races but here's some stereotypes that I have so far:

Faralians: There's a big focus on generosity and respect in Faralian culture. They're often perceived as being friendly and helpful by the other nations, but sometimes their focus on peacefulness gets misconstrued as being naive and/or cowardly.
Falthrans: Falthrans get dubbed by other nations as being cold, reserved, and judgemental. There's a lot of things that Falthrans don't really talk about, but it's also kind of considered rude to point out other people's mistakes. So this idea that they're super judgemental actually comes from people from other nations bringing up "controversial" subjects and having Falthrans respond with either some raised eyebrows or changing the subject.
Arribeans: Arribea is the largest nation and historically, their military has always been super important to them. They tend to be seen as aggressive because of that. Appearances are also important in their culture so they tend to be seen as arrogant and narcissistic (it's kind of more of an upper class thing though). They're also seen as being overly patriotic, which is kind of true actually, but a lot of that stems from the fact that Arribeans really respect their monarchy and saying bad things about the royal family (even in a sarcastic, off hand way) is really bad and not something that you would do in Arribea.
Stahlvenians: Stahlvenians focus a lot on intelligence and advancement in their culture. I'm still kind of working on this one, but the stereotype is that they're conceited, snobby, and condescending.

@Althalosian-is-the-father book

The Menna tribe is considered the craftiest of the tribes. And it is true. No other tribe is better at cooking up a plan to do anything or overcome any problem by thinking outside the box. Many inventions came from the Menna's ingenuity. Some AlFen are more likely to be prejudiced against them as many Menna have taken a trade in selling beauty products, many of them useless.
The AlFen are thought of as thinking themselves to be the best. That's because they do. Their enhanced senses and odd, reflective eyes make them seem more other than all the tribes except the Gobé-Lin. They are quick to take offence and provoke disgust for their insistence that beauty matters more than anything else. The AlFen themselves think that breeding with another tribe taints their perfect genes and alters their beauty. Even so, it is no secret that AlFen of the lower houses have takes spouses from other tribes, usually Menna.
The Dweorv are first and foremost, practical, even so that they take no notice of any social custom of another tribe that doesn't make sense. They even chose to be shorter than the other tribes so as to spend less work on house building. They are seen as odd because of their intensely structured lives and customs. They are seen as ferocious warriors that will stop at nothing to defend themselves if their anger is roused. This is mostly incorrect. The Dweorv are largely a peaceful people, ruled over by the Mahz Mulm (Great Mother) who discourages violence. Except for the Dweorv custom of Thék, one rarely even mentioned to those not within the tribe's sworn ring of family. Thék is the only reason they have their reputation. When their peaceful disposition is disturbed by a great crime against one of their people, they are ruthless and cruel, going so far as to kidnap the offender or the closest relation of them and torturing them by barbaric methods, normally leaving them to die of it or delivering the dead or barely living body to the door of the offender as a warning to all.
The Gobé-Lin are thought of as cruel animals which are barely human and do not deserve the treatment and respect humans should have. This is partially bought on by their gray skin and the way they swing from trees to move. The other part is their deadly aim with stones and poisoned handheld darts. What is unknown is that the have Gobé-Lin declared war on all the other tribes for past wrongs committed against them, by the AFen, and the other tribes that did not stop them.

Deleted user

Xorvlogoth are looked upon as forerunners for the Army of terror and mindless killers, Even though they actually aren't but they defend themselves when attacked and their fighting of style does happen to be a bit brutal.
Elves are the weird distant ones, Except the Dark elves, they are just chill.

@Moriarty

Goblins are evil and stupid.
Elves are wonderful.
Men are tricksters.
Dwarves are good warriors.

Short, sweet, and to the point. I approve.

@Moriarty

The Mén tribe are thought of as the smart ones. People think they are very clever but also likely to swindle someone. They aren't as strong as the others, but you definitely want one if you're planning a heist or a business matter.

The Alfen are (according to the other tribes) a force to be reckoned with. Some hate them, some admire them, and some think they are powerful, but arrogant. But all agree they are not ones to make foes out of lightly.

The Dweorv tribe are thought of as great warriors. That's about it. Everyone knows them to be reasonably friendly, and even more practical than usual.

The Gobe-Lin are thought of as evil and of base nature. In fact they are highly discriminated against because their wild appearance leads others to believe them more animal than human.

Even better