forum Balancing Accuracy with Player comfort
Started by @WaitingCynicism Beta Tester
tune

people_alt 39 followers

@WaitingCynicism Beta Tester

Hello everyone! Apologies if this post could be considered too political/religious/controversial.

I've been working on a tabletop/novel setting set in the High Middle Ages. The setting will be a mix of Ivanhoe, the Arthurian myths, and Game of Thrones all set just after the Second Crusade.

However, I feel like I have run into some problems. I feel like when I run a game, I'd want to run it in such a way that LGBT+ people are accepted, can get married, etc. for the sake of player comfort. Yet I know that the actual Middle Ages was anything but LGBT+ friendly. Is there a way I can balance both historical accuracy and the fictional aspects of medieval ages being homophobic?

@ElderGod-Icefire

Uhm heres what I would do: make it legal, but there is still a lot of homophobia/controversy, and its frowned upon. Make sense? Could that work for you?

I could do that, yeah - I was thinking more though that most would be neutral about it, though I still want it to feel grounded in history if that makes sense.

@ElderGod-Icefire

Mmm yeah i see what you mean. I mean…hm. You could make it so that the common people accept it and all, but the church still looks down on it? Maybe? That way there's still that historical bit, but at the same time more accepting?

maybe, I kind of was thinking maybe the church would be more neutral on it as well, but would expect more fidelity to your spouse than being straight if that makes sense

@ElderGod-Icefire

Oh alright, yeah that makes sense lol. I'm just saying that the whole homophobic aspect was very prevalent back then, so you might want to have it pop up in some form or another, if you want that touch of historical accuracy. Thats totally up to you, though lol. And your players, i guess