forum What weird traditions do your characters have?
Started by @primaldesire
tune

people_alt 80 followers

@primaldesire

So, uhh, I have these people who are called Portal Jumpers who have lived since humans were introduced to the world. They were originally humans who were given special gems that could give them powers and let them jump between dimensions and stuff.
So, one thing that they used to do before jumping with a large group was that they, uuh, would dance? It would sort of pump them up and get the blood kickin'.
So, keeping with tradition but making better like they usually do, they will sometimes organize dances before jumping with a large group. They also usually do this in a more public place that is open to magick creatures because it is so cool to watch because it is a bunch of different dance styles all mixed together with cool spectacles and stuff.

@croccin-champagne

I have a character who, every year on her birthday, just goes out into like the middle of the woods or a corn field and screams, if that counts?

@Darkblossom group

I have a character who, every year on her birthday, just goes out into like the middle of the woods or a corn field and screams, if that counts?

This just made my day. Thank you.

@Yamatsu

My MC has a tradition of creating a weapon for his mother every 5th birthday and 10th Mother's Day, mostly because that's what he's good at and she is super supportive of her son's craft. She may or may not make extensive use of the weapons in question, but she is still well-trained in all of them.

@primaldesire

My MC has a tradition of creating a weapon for his mother every 5th birthday and 10th Mother's Day, mostly because that's what he's good at and she is super supportive of her son's craft. She may or may not make extensive use of the weapons in question, but she is still well-trained in all of them.

Oooo, interesting.

@primaldesire

May I ask if there is a specific reason why?

@croccin-champagne

There is, actually. It was a thing her and her brother used to do(they were twins). It was originally just a joke, they loved watching alien documentaries together, and would joke about being abducted. After he passed away, it was a way to let out her grief, and carry on the tradition.

@Darkblossom group

There is, actually. It was a thing her and her brother used to do(they were twins). It was originally just a joke, they loved watching alien documentaries together, and would joke about being abducted. After he passed away, it was a way to let out her grief, and carry on the tradition.

Now I’m just sad.

@croccin-champagne

I can fix that by mentioning that her friends and boyfriend later on in life end up joining her, so basically three teen boys and one girl screaming at the sky in the middle of a cornfield at like eleven at night.

@primaldesire

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
"Martha, get my gun. It's those damn kids again."

I know I shouldn't be laughing but this is funny.

@SupernaturalSyGuyIsTIred group

The family tradition in one of my stories is that the bride has to get married in the same dress that her maternal grandmother got married in. The dress can be altered for a more perfect fit, and can even be made into a whole new dress. Alternatively, the bride, with her grandmother's permission, can choose to take a piece of the old dress, and make it part of a new one.

@Echo_6 group

Every year to mark when summer is, my race of ninja elves have this giant game of Hide'n'seek-tag. The only limits are the fact that they have to stay within the forest of Rothe which is large enough to take up a good chunk of the U.S.

Lisandre Premium Supporter

I have «race of humanoid» of remote people, living in harsh condition in isolated tribes in huge mountain ranges. They are quite primitive in terms of technology, just pre-stone age in terms of our history, and thus they rely a lot on myths, lore and tradition. Being surrended by nature, they have a lot of rites base on those on it.

• For exemple, the rite of coming of age for the girls is particulary harsh as they have to go on a hunt for a female bear alone. The bigger the more sucessfull and deemed worthy and valuable. The female bear being so protective of her younglings, it's a symbol of greatness for the future motherhood of those girls. The pelt is then one of the most valuable pocession of the young women and they wear it at ceremonies, as a cape outside when the temperature is low, it's a blanket in bed. Only her, her husband or her children can be cover by it. Not her parents or siblings, even if really small. It's somewhat of a dangerously, harshly aquired security blanket that connects them to the goddess of motherhood and childbaring. When a woman dies, her remains are cremated covered by her pelt.
  • That leads me to the most difficult ritual. As one individu dies, its clan will practice endocannibalism. Thus the remains and not body mentioned higher…. They light pyres and cremate their dead so they can rejoins their ancestors but to ensure the transfer of knowledge and life force. The whole clan will joint, and depending on their relationship with the deaceased will be awarded different parts. The mother if alive or the older sister will received the heart. The father or older brother, the lungs. The younger siblings will have the liver. the reproductive organs to the partner. The main goddess would receive the uterus filled with seeds and water as offering, so she would replace the defunt. The skin would be peeled off and prep with the brain to be turned into a drum, thus by beating it the voice and the energy of the deceased would be kept. The rest of the organs are burnt, deemed unpure and holding bad memories. Then the muscles would be consume by the clan once cooked over a fir and juniper fire ( for my MC clan, the woods depend of the region and the clans). To be noted that the children of the deceased do not participate in the endocannibalism. They are prohibed to eat their parent as the clans think it would be like eating their gods. They are awarded the bones afterwards to do with what they want. It is not an easy ritual, neither for their shaman, nor for the rest of the clan. But it's not in the gruesomeness that lies their inconfort as they see meat as meat and human on the same level of the animal around them, but more the fact that they are close knit tiny communities of 50-200 individuals and the lost of one of them is a harsh reminder. It's the moment for them where they are the closer to their gods and to each other. Also they do not eat the remains of another person if they are not of the same clan, or even more the same culture. To be allowed to the ceremony you must be part of the same group, otherwise you taint the decease and corrupt its soul. It is believe that consummng someone other than your clan will lead to madness and diseases.