forum Cyromnean: What words/phrases should I add?
Started by @eztliraldclairinda
tune

people_alt 44 followers

@eztliraldclairinda

List of other words I have:
north
south
east
west
dark lord
and
but
time
daylight
moonlight
dark arts/plague
prophecy
mercury
pieces (money)
bits (money)
shadow

@eztliraldclairinda

Mm it’s cool.
Is it like a fluently spoken language? Or just one to write certain phrases?

Right now, it's just writen…it's kinda a dead language when the story takes place but it will come back. I want to make it spoken, but the sounds/pronunciation will take a LOT longer than writing it.

@Toxic_Persephone group

Mm it’s cool.

Right now, it's just writen…it's kinda a dead language when the story takes place but it will come back. I want to make it spoken, but the sounds/pronunciation will take a LOT longer than writing it.

Agreed. It’s good so far wording wise especially if it’s a dead language.

@eztliraldclairinda

Mm it’s cool.

Agreed. It’s good so far wording wise especially if it’s a dead language.

Thanks! My sister helped me a bit too. 😁

@Peter_Duende language

I really like the looks of this. I find creating written codes very enjoyable, and how you've designed your language reminds me a little of my most recent code.

My language building tip is this: have phrases/words that are practically untranslatable in English/other. This gives the language more depth, and gives its identity more uniqueness.

Some examples would be:

Toska (Russian)

The Russian word toska can be roughly translated to mean sadness or lugubriousness, but according to Lolita author Vladimir Nabokov, these English words don't come close to its real meaning. "No single word in English renders all the shades of toska. At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. At less morbid levels it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases it may be the desire for somebody or something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness. At the lowest level it grades into ennui, boredom."

I use toska in a lot of my online usernames as it is a favorite untranslatable of mine.

Another is
Firgun (Hebrew)

Firgun is a modern, informal Hebrew term and concept in Israeli culture that describes a generosity of spirit and the unselfish joy that something good has happened or might happen to someone else. Another possible definition describes firgun as a genuine, unselfish feeling of delight or pride in someone else's accomplishment. The infinitive verb form of the word, lefargen, means to make someone feel good without any ulterior motives.

And another is
Iktsuarpok (Inuit)

Iktsuarpok refers to the feeling of anticipation when you're expecting someone that leads you to constantly check to see if they're coming. It's the impatient excitement for a visit that makes you look out the window countless times in hope of seeing your guest arrive.

Source: https://www.rocketlanguages.com/blog/20-of-the-worlds-most-beautiful-untranslatable-words/

@Peter_Duende language

You're welcome. I hope it helps.

Also, if you're wanting to draw more from egyptian hieroglyphics you could try creating symbols that stand for certain phrases/nouns/events/words.

Take the ankh, for example. It represented the word 'life' but gradually also became a symbol of life itself.

The first three symbols are examples of what I mean: https://www.crystalinks.com/egyptsymbols.html

@eztliraldclairinda

No joke: It helps with saving paper space as well. And it's faster.

Yeah. I wrote an entire conversation word for word in Cyromnean and decided it was time for some symbols so I don't have to spell out everything..lol.

@Toxic_Persephone group

Smart!

It’s like how in Japanese they have hiragana and katakana but also have symbols called Kanji that mean something.

Like the kanji for tall: 高い the first being the kanji and the second being the hiragana

@Riorlyne pets

Anyone know how to create color into symbols?

Perhaps pictographs of things that represent that colour? Like a leaf for green, a native flower or fruit for yellow, etc.

@ravens

I'm on an old device and I can't open google drive links :( but I'll definitely take a look at it tomorrow! <3 creating languages is super cool!

@eztliraldclairinda

Anyone know how to create color into symbols?

Perhaps pictographs of things that represent that colour? Like a leaf for green, a native flower or fruit for yellow, etc.

Not a bad idea! Thanks so much!