forum Help with the roleplaying aspect of D&D?
Started by @Becfromthedead group
tune

people_alt 35 followers

@Becfromthedead group

So D&D is great, but I'm kind of terrible at on-the-fly, verbal roleplaying. I can't say things as I think of them, and the worst part? I'm playing a bard at the moment, and his play style relies heavily on charisma, so I'm supposed to be the one in the party talking us out of situations, but I can't. Anyone have any advice? Or does it all come down to practice?

@AloeVera groupMentallyImInACottage

I'm sort of the same way; but it's more a matter of how I'm less of a participator and more of a listener. My current character's charisma is the lowest score, so I justify myself with that, but yeah, as a bard, I think my most simplified idea of a bard is the Memer. If you're struggling to come up with something requiring persuasion or deception, try cutting a deal with them. (One time, I tried to seduce this shopkeeper so that I could get a rare item for cheaper, but I got too drunk and forgot) It might actually be a matter of practice, but I've learned that if I'm in a pretty good mood or if I'm super into the game, I participate more and do a lot of outrageous and charismatic things.

@Becfromthedead group

One time my DM made me roll a persuasion check with disadvantage because of something stupid I said while trying to persuade a child to come out of hiding and talk to us…… It was that bad, and my party holds it against me as a joke still…

oH THAT'S SUCH A HUGE RIP

the other day (i'm a druid) i was a horse so that we could spend less on horse rental for a lot of traveling and i'm observant so the DM texted me saying i spotted something on the horizon, but as a horse I can't talk so i had to absolutely flip the frick out to my party's attention and then my teammate was scared to get back on me because they took damage from falling off of me

BUT ALso I have definitely had a DM like that where if I tried to make a joke he'd actually implement that into the game (we once accidentally tamed a dragon that destroyed every obstacle in our way so there was one upside to it) but also!! when it comes to checks, you could say the stupidest shit ("come out kid or we'll murder you") but win the check so as a bard I'd make a ton of jokes if i can LMAO

@Becfromthedead group

Well, you see, that last thing you said sounds like the opposite of what I said. I believe my exact words were: "Come on, kid. We won't hurt you. In fact, we couldn't hurt you, even if we wanted to! We're in a public place!"
I still passed the check because a have double proficiency in persuasion, so a +10 currently, but still…

@Becfromthedead group

Also my bard isn't the "I roll to seduce" chaos engine-type bard. He's more of a warrior poet, as the bard was intended, and he has a guild artisan background, as a baker. My explanation is that his charisma comes from him being nice and amiable, so most people are inclined to listen to him. (Best part is that he's a half-orc that wears a little chef's hat)

That's beautiful i love him also aye that's very interesting, yeah I'm pretty bad at being the talkative or contributing one in D&D, as much as I want to be better.

Hey if it's any consolation i've been playing for like five years and i still suck LMAo (although i'm good at carrying my team occasionally)

@M.W.Poel

The most important thing is having fun and feeling comfortable. If you really want to work on improvising though the cardgame Overlord may be good. It basically is as follows

1. one person is the Overlord who makes most of the rules (sort of a DM)
  2. the others are his minions who messed up a mission
  3. pin the blame on someone else using the pictures or text on the cards (you chose)
  4. I believe the story has to be somewhat consistent, you can't contradict each other without a special card.

It's chaotic and requires a lot of fast thinking but a lot of fun as well.