forum Rlly good not very well known books
Started by Livvy55
tune

people_alt 100 followers

@lisapickle

The Viking Quest series (super awesome middle-grade//young teen books and besides me and one friend I've barely known anyone who knew about them)

@Starfast group

The Edge Chronicles were what got me interested in fantasy novels. The world building is so unique and unlike anything else I've read. and the stories are just so good and intense. It's marketed towards younger audiences (I see them in my local bookstore in the 9-12 sections) but don't let that put you off. I'm almost 24 but I'm still in love with this series. Plus they definitely deal with some dark topics like slavery, corruption, betrayal, death. Seems like a bit much for a 9 year old.

Also there's illustrations. In all the books. And all of them are so detailed and amazing. Like, look at the map just to give you an idea

@TryToDoItWrite

Oh my gosh I need to rant about Jonathan Stroud's books! I keep telling people to read them and in all my time on the internet i've only had one person tell me they've ready Stroud at all before.
Read the Lockwood and Co Series by Stroud and the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Stroud if you're looking for books to get hooked on and characters to adore and a plot full of mystery and ghosts and demons!!
The Bartimaeus books are full of sassy footnotes from the narrator whos a demon

and the Lockwood books have gems like this:

Also the edge chronicles looks cool! I may have to read!

@blue_topaz

hyperventilates excitedly
Favourite book is definitely the second last, and as for favourite character I can't choose. Favourite moment….. Ooh that's tough
You?

@GoodThingGoing group

Joan Bauer writes really good contemperary YA fiction and her books are actually surprising intense and deal with a lot of difficult topics (for example, human trafficking was a plot point in Tell Me, Foster's mom was in an abusive relationship before the events of Close to Famous, Hope Was Here sees small-town politics and how they can both divide and unit people, and Almost Famous deals with homelessness) in a way that doesn't sugarcoat them but isn't uber-graphic. Some of my favorites include Tell Me, Peeled, Close to Famous, Almost Home, and Hope Was Here.

@ninja_violinist

Tell the Wolves I'm Home! This is one of my favourite books of all time but there is no fandom
It's among the most criminally underrated books out there and I love it so much

@Yamatsu

Wings of Fire! It's got 12 books at this point and NEVER grows old! C'mon, people! There's dragons! And shipping! And political intrigue surrounding the events before and after major wars! What else more could you want?

@TryToDoItWrite

hyperventilates excitedly
Favourite book is definitely the second last, and as for favourite character I can't choose. Favourite moment….. Ooh that's tough
You?

my favourite moment is the beginning of the third in Lavender Lodge because it was so hilarious but my fav book is definitely in the second to last. It was nostalgic, exciting, mysterious, and hilarious all in one go! So many iconic moments in that one!! Fav character has to be…oh crap I can't pick one either! I love all of them (even Holly and Kipps)!
When did you first get the impression that Lockwood and Lucy were going to be a thing? (I called it from the very first chapter of the first book)

@Yamatsu

Kane Chronicles deserves more recognition

Honestly, I'm surprised that many people don't talk about it. It's absolutely fantastic and was the first hint that the other pantheons exist within the same world. Though, you could have just played God of War for that info. At least then Zeus would get what he deserves (and you can use Helios's severed head as a flashlight!)

@Starfast group

^ Actually though! Scythe and Thunderhead are so amazing (the only books to actually make me cry tbh). I started reading the Unwind series as well, and it was also pretty good. I didn't like it quite as much as Scythe, but I'm going to chalk that up to just having really high expectations going in because of how blown away I was by Scythe and Thunderhead, because the first two books were still pretty good (I haven't read the rest though).

@Story_Siren group

Uglies by Scott Westerfield - Sci-fi, a little slow at parts but phenomenal ideas!
Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage - Fantasy, really interesting
Rising series by Holly Kelly - Mermaids, pantheons, and romance!

@GoodThingGoing group

An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson!!!! Fae that are actually fae and not hot guys with pointy ears, adventure, romance, good worldbuilding, and adorable characters! It also has one of my favorite things in fantasy which is immortals/nonhumans not understanding human things

@A. Alice Robins

Anything that is written by Marissa Meyer
The Sweetness at the bottom of the pie by Alan Bradley
The Land of Elyon
The Spiderwick Chronicles
You can't go too wrong here. Land of Elyon is geared towards younger audiences, but still amazing. Marissa Meyer books will ruin your life and emotional state, but the are FANTASTIC.

@Crisis

They Both Die in the End was a great book and it almost made me cry. However it isn't very well known, obviously, cause I'm posting it here

@Pickles group

Finishing School by Gail Carriger
I'm on the last book and they're really good
Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes. I'm still waiting for the second book but the first one is really good
Talon by Julie Kagawa. Fair warning, make sure you have the next book readily available after the second or so because CLIFFHANGERS
The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. I think it's a series? Not really sure, but I've only read the first one and I keep forgetting to look for the next one.