forum 3 Main character critiques
Started by @glowingwithpride
tune

people_alt 57 followers

@glowingwithpride

These are the three main characters for my current story, there are three more but I haven't created their profiles yet.

For context all three of them have magical deities that saved their lives in the back of their heads constantly talking about stuff so when I mention Rose, Luna, or Scarlet those are the deities, here's the whole pitch for the story.

"There are three powerful beings, young by their standards, and ancient by ours, their mother/guardian has implored them to explore the universe to learn and grow

They leave together having become familiar to each other’s presence and decide to travel together on a world called earth

They spend many years there together, observing and growing and playing together, and yet one day without warning they are tragically separated. Whatever separated them also hurt them, badly, badly enough that they must find bodies to inhabit long enough for them to heal. They don’t have much time, but they still are careful with their decisions, not wishing to bring harm to any human they might choose.

One of them finds a young girl trapped in a burning building, one finds a similarly young girl about to drown in the middle of the ocean, and the final entity finds a small child lost in the forest, about to starve to death.

They ask permission of course, and the humans agree readily, they spend the next few years together, still searching for one another."

I just need quick basic feedback on them but if you have the time to do anything in depth I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

@wren-has-mommy-issues group

I don't see anything wrong with your characters. They're all pretty mapped out for the most part, and I love the variety. Each one is different. I am curious how exactly Piper's house caught fire, though. I think my favorite part of this story would be when the deities meet the girls. Are the deities each different from each other like the girls are? Do they have things in common with them? Or are they so different that they clash at times? Just a note: it can't be all nice and lovely all the time. Even though the deities and characters here are good people/beings, a story needs conflict. I know you have one, but I just wanted to say that because I think it'd add a lot to the story if the deities fight with their vessels at times. Anyways, unless you need specific feedback on something in particular, I'd say you've done a pretty good job of outlining these protagonists.

@glowingwithpride

I don't see anything wrong with your characters. They're all pretty mapped out for the most part, and I love the variety. Each one is different. I am curious how exactly Piper's house caught fire, though. I think my favorite part of this story would be when the deities meet the girls. Are the deities each different from each other like the girls are? Do they have things in common with them? Or are they so different that they clash at times? Just a note: it can't be all nice and lovely all the time. Even though the deities and characters here are good people/beings, a story needs conflict. I know you have one, but I just wanted to say that because I think it'd add a lot to the story if the deities fight with their vessels at times. Anyways, unless you need specific feedback on something in particular, I'd say you've done a pretty good job of outlining these protagonists.

Oh thank you very much!! Yeah for the most part I just wanted confirmation that they look good cause I don't really build characters very often and I wasn't sure how it went, but I appreciate the other stuff too!

As for the conflict, you're right I do already have something in mind, but you do make a good point, it would be interesting to see the humans and the deities not living in constant perfect harmony (cause no one does really) and I'll absolutely keep that in mind as I write!

Again thank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it