Pirate adventure yay. this is my main project rn and I have stuff planned but this is largely just so I can organize stuff so I'm not putting a ton abt the plot here.
Comedic fantasy, maybe historical fantasy or low fantasy (not to be confused with urban fantasy!!!!!!!). either way it's comedic.
(by the way I am aware that there are a few women in the story and what that would mean if it were historical. I have done my research/am doing my research so yeah)
(if it were low fantasy it would still be 1000% inspired by historical events because I like history)
Basically the same as normal aside from a tiny bit of magic, a lot of curses and even more monsters. Will bend for Rule of Funny and Rule of Cool.
There are a few fantasy races and some curses but no one can like manipulate magic really. People just kind of avoid it or live with it. It's primarily all based on Irish folktales and fables (to name a few inspirations, Avalon, selkies, banshees) sometimes (but very rarely because I think it's overused) Greek tales/myths (the only relevant one I can think of is the aquatic sirens) and old sailors superstitions (killing an albatross is very very bad, keep a cat on the ship, and many many many more).
In no particular order,
- BlackSmith (webtoon by BoredMan)
- Master and Commander (series by Patrick O'Brian)
- Hook (movie by Steven Spielberg) (this isn't a huge inspiration by the way)
- Treasure Island (book by Robert Louis Stevenson)
- Bottle Rocket (movie by Wes Anderson) (also not a huge inspiration)
- the Odyssey
- The humor itself is inspired by Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams as well as my own sense of humor because this project is extremely self indulgent
- The Golden Age of Piracy generally
haven't even started the first draft smh