Here's what I'm doing at the moment:
- If there's a creature I have made up it will have an unfamiliar name to this world
- If it exists in the real world but the name doesn't make sense lore-wise I will customise it
- Horses are still called horses even though they don't really look like actual horses
- Most mythical creatures from this world have new names
- Other common creatures from this world keep their names i.e fox, hare, caribou, seals, etc
Basically, what I'm wondering is if I should just try to maintain a balance between new names and actual names or if I should just go full send and give everything new names?
And should I keep the real names of some creatures like horses to keep a semblance of familiarity and understanding for a reader even though it isn't the exact same as the real thing?
Basically, if I give something like a caribou/reindeer a new name then I'll have to describe it completely but if I keep the name people will already know what it is. I think this is the main issue
I dunno just need some opinions