Okay, so I'm fleshing out this pre-existing culture, (The Argenta from Doom) for a TTRPG I'm making for my family to play, and I'm a bit hung up on how their last names should work.
What I don't want, is a system like ours, with family names. That doesn't fit the culture very well. However, what I need is some system of people being able to tell each other apart even if they have the same names.
For example, we'll use the character Valen,
because I love him because he's who I'm working with right now. My options I've thought up so far are:
- Valen Night Sentinel (occupation name)
- Valen King's Hand (position name, given/earned)
- Valen, Commander (Rank)
- Commander Valen, and leave it at that.
- A given/earned name based off a trait or achievement, so when confused, one could say
"You know, Valen."
"Valen…which one? I know three."
"Ahhh, yeah. You know, Trustworthy."
"Ooooh, yeah, I get ya. What about him?"
- That last option, except keep the word in the Argenta language, so it would be more like
"Valen? Which one?"
"You know, Nakoth."
I'm more than open to suggestions, because currently I'm not a huge stan of any of these. Thankie!!