Writing a Fiction Book Review
Note: You don't have to answer every question – they're suggestions!
The Magicians by Lev Grossman
Points to Ponder:
- What was the story about?
The story is about Quentin Coldwater attending a secret magical school in New York. While learning to do and control magic he and his group of "friends" fantasize about going to a magical world known as Fillory, and eventually get to go there.
- Who were the main characters?
Quentin Coldwater, Alice Quinn, Eliot Waugh, Josh Hoberman, William "Penny", Janet, and Julia Wicker (I actually count her as a side character though)
- Were the characters credible?
- What did the main characters do in the story?
Attend a secret, magical school, and traveled to another realm.
- Did the main characters run into any problems? Adventures?
They had to face problems of the magical sort, a "beast", and got to explore a separate realm.
- Who was your favorite character? Why?
My favorite character would have to be Penny, for he is enthusiastic about his studies and interests.
Your personal experiences:
- Could you relate to any of the characters in the story?
I found myself relating to Quentin, for we both suffer from depression and feeling lost in life.
- Have you ever done or felt some of the things, the characters did?
I have felt lost in life, felt depressed, and definitely have had an obsession with a piece of fiction.
It was enjoyable in some areas, but boring in others.
- What was your favorite part of the book?
When Penny takes them to the Neitherlands for the first time.
- Do you have a least favorite part of the book?
The portion where Quentin is in recovery.
- If you could change something, what would it be? (If you wish you could change the ending, don't reveal it!)
I would give exposition by showing rather than telling; Grossman constantly gives expositional paragraphs that directly tell the reader what happened.
- Would you recommend this book to another person?
Not really. If I did I'd warn them of Grossman's tendency of giving exposition via telling.
- What type of person would like this book?
Anyone that likes fantasy.
I also wrote a review for it on Goodreads.