forum Your favourite thing about a language you (or someone else) created?
Started by @Riorlyne pets
tune

people_alt 3 followers

@Riorlyne pets

As the title suggests, what’s your favourite or most interesting thing about a language you’ve created for your world/s? It doesn’t have to be a fully fledged language either - a few words or names here or there can represent a bigger language behind them.

For one of my languages: making short/pet names by adding a single vowel as a prefix. English does suffixes (Bob —> Bobby, Dad —> Daddy) and I found I was defaulting to that, but by simply adding the vowel in front instead, I was able to keep the ‘cuteness’ of it and still maintain the flavour of my language.
Some examples: Mur (cat) —> umur (kitty); Liss (a character) —> Iliss (her pet name).

I would love to hear your language quirks, so please share!

@Yamatsu

I remember reading the Pennykettle Dragons series (Green Fire, Ice Fire, Fire Star, etc.) and loving how Dragontongue was written in the style of how a dragon would speak. Each line in a character would signify how a dragon would move their throat to make that sound, which I thought was really cool because dragons would probably have a few more vocal organs than humans. Another interesting detail is that all dragon names in that series began with the letter G (Gadzooks, Gollygosh, Grockle, Gawain, etc.) because the dragon goddess is named Godith, and it's considered an honor to have Godith's name on your breath. Gawain was such a cool name for a dragon, I decided my main character's father would be named that. Most G names sound cool, now that I think about it…

PyrrhicViolet

ahh holy shit that was my favourite series as a kid! ^^ another cool detail was how Gawain was gah - wane, whereas Gawaine was gah - wen. And there was also that weird rule with the apostrophe, where G'reth was pronounced guh - reth. I believe it also said in reading there isn't a definitive start point but you start where instincts tell you, and the abstract curves represent the way you move your voice to pronounce a word?

Anyway I came to comment a little about my own language I made up. I think my favourite thing about it is how I write it - in theory ever letter is pretty simple, and they're all made from one or two slightly curving lines, vowels being circles. But when you put them together into one word taking grammar into account, it creates these curving swirling but easy to read (if you know what you're doing) words that i'm so proud to look at.