forum Rate my system
Started by Dani Jean McGhee
tune

people_alt 54 followers

Dani Jean McGhee

Please please please tell me what I can do to improve, I'd like help 😅

The monoverse magic system is peculiar in more ways than one. Usually in comics and movies and books magic is harnessed from the soul of the user with mana etc: but the monoverse is strange.

Very few creatures are able to use magic as it is only available through DNA, luckily because of duobeast (a large humanoid creature) research the gene is able to be taken out of the egg before the fetus stage upon the parents wish.

Why would you want to be removed from magic exactly? Magic is an extremely dangerous force that can deplete the users lifespan drastically, some animals with an expectancy of 30 years only live up to 4 as the bacteria eats away at the cell tissue.

The bacteria only found in magic magicornophicis: (mah-jee-corn-ophi-sis) is treated like a toxin, those who bear it are either cast aside or put into mental wards for reasearch. Luckily there is a drug that is able to slow down the bacteria if regularly taken.

Magic can be quite useful though. Lots of tools in the monoverse use magic to operate like the cloff, a ring fueled with magic that can tell the time (but will need to be replaced every 5-10 years) magic is found in more places than the evo-creatures. Like the honeyflower, the only type flower in the universe that uses pollen to polenate, large amounts of honeyflower magic mixed with fools gold can make a variety of useful items.

Duels are very popular as well, since magic users don't live long, those who still have families and freedom duel with other magics in order to give their family something to remember them by, be it popularity, money or faithfulness.

Magic weilders (more commonly referred to as magics) have a lot of abilities when using their powers, such as elements, inventory (very useful for explorers) and control, control is currently being debated over in mono as it has the ability to control objects and living people, though only one person has ever used it on a living creature.

@Serpentess health_and_safety language

I like this. It’s actually far more filled out than my multiverse’s magic (I make it up as I go and hope I can categorize it later).

Something that might be useful, if you want this much detail, is referencing the magic system of Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder. They have schools of magic (examples: transmutation, necromancy) and categorize spells from there.

Also, for individual spells, they might have a power/time limit, whether for the spell itself or the casting. (Example: Casting time limit- someone is casting a moderately powerful healing spell, but can only cast for a few minutes before they become exhausted. Spell time limit- same guy trying to heal another, but has to constantly return and refresh spell or wounded person may die)

Deleted user

Very intriguing that there's a real cost to keeping the ability to do magic. However, I'm not convinced of a specific bacteria that causes early death because of magic. Can't it be stunted growth, or increased speed of aging—something genetic? Or even increased risk of death by sepsis, which is general bacterial infections rather than a specific lifelong decay, due to loss of core temperature control, due to REM sleep cycle deprivation that comes from using too much magic… something like that?

Dani Jean McGhee

Very intriguing that there's a real cost to keeping the ability to do magic. However, I'm not convinced of a specific bacteria that causes early death because of magic. Can't it be stunted growth, or increased speed of aging—something genetic? Or even increased risk of death by sepsis, which is general bacterial infections rather than a specific lifelong decay, due to loss of core temperature control, due to REM sleep cycle deprivation that comes from using too much magic… something like that?

Ah, that actually makes more sense, I'll make sure to change it!

Dani Jean McGhee

I like this. It’s actually far more filled out than my multiverse’s magic (I make it up as I go and hope I can categorize it later).

Something that might be useful, if you want this much detail, is referencing the magic system of Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder. They have schools of magic (examples: transmutation, necromancy) and categorize spells from there.

Also, for individual spells, they might have a power/time limit, whether for the spell itself or the casting. (Example: Casting time limit- someone is casting a moderately powerful healing spell, but can only cast for a few minutes before they become exhausted. Spell time limit- same guy trying to heal another, but has to constantly return and refresh spell or wounded person may die)

I'll make sure to add that!