forum Jewelry Making!
Started by @Becfromthedead group
tune

people_alt 77 followers

@Becfromthedead group

Thread where we can talk about the things we make, link each other to resources and tutorials, etc.
Also if you want to promote yourself or others here, go on ahead!
Currently, I am kind of trying to open a little etsy shop, I'm just unsure about shipping stuff, and I'm very slowly buying more supplies because I don't want to spend a ton then make nothing.
So far, I can make wire-wrapped rings, and I can make earrings with wire-wrapped gems as well. I'm trying to find charms to make earrings with, but I'd like to reach an audience before I start spending money.

@ElderGod-Winter-The-Renegade-Legionnaire book

Heyo I do this! One very good resource I use is this guy! He's also very ASMR. Super chill and relaxing, and he's amazing at what he does!

(He uses a puppet as his logo, because it was the first thing he actually tried to make 😂)
I'm into the cabachon jewlery and etched/engraved/hammered/imprinting/ stamping metal things. I could help with those if you're interested in them!

@Becfromthedead group

Ooh, that's fun! I do love engraved stuff. One of the jewelry makers I follow on ig makes engraved/stamped rings and they're really cool. I'd probably wait to pick that up until I've actually made sales, if I can at all, since equipment costs money, but it's really neat!

And side note, I'm also thinking of making knitted earrings because that sounds fun and unique, plus I can already knit pretty well.

No problem! There is some stuff on his channel that is strictly a stress reliever because he knows people are having rough times right now, but his tutorials are solid. And very easy to follow. And knitted jewelry is a pretty cool idea! For me, when I started to sell, I would find a few friends, and a few other people who I could count on, and gave them like a 20% discount. They would go crazy. The I said for every person they got to buy something I'd shave another 10% off. (Only for those I told and knew of, so there were no people cheating me) so when they'd get to 100% they got a free item. And it resets every time they get 10 people. It's grown pretty good too. Also, to make more money and charge extra, do "special commissions" which are requests from people who want you to just make beautiful art, or absolute nonsense. I just do them because I charge extra for them. It's a great way to start off.

Ooh yeah, the friend discount thing is a great idea. I was thinking of doing that, and also for those I see irl that takes off shipping.

Bingo! That's an idea! Also start small! Like bracelets and necklaces and earrings. They can be sent in a regular envelope, and you can just pay for stamps. It's a great way to get some money in your pocket to start with.

Oh shoot. 😂 I normally sell on Ebay and Amazon, as well as in person. My link's shut off for now because all of this pandemic stuff has made a whole bunch of people suddenly really crafty.
But depop is better in my opinion.
They only charge a 10% flat rate fee for everything you sell. Which seems like a lot, but it really isn't. Etsy however, charges you 20 cents to list an item, plus a 10 dollar subscription fee. There's also shopify, but they charge 30 bucks a month and a 2.9% flat rate plus 30 cents for every online transaction. In the long run, depop is better, but it is lesser known than etsy. Just because of the fact that I've never seen a depop ad and I see etsy ads all the time.

@Becfromthedead group

Okay, great! That's what I thought, I was trying to look at fees for each. I've seen other jewelry sellers who use depop, and I'm not looking at making a living off of this, just an extra buck here and there, so even if I have to generate all my publicity on my own, that's okay.

Okay, great! That's what I thought, I was trying to look at fees for each. I've seen other jewelry sellers who use depop, and I'm not looking at making a living off of this, just an extra buck here and there, so even if I have to generate all my publicity on my own, that's okay.

That's completely fine! Start with who you can reach. Then branch out. Also, if you're up for it, invest in small stocks. Like nickle and dime stocks. I had a friend put in 100 dollars as a joke into a little bitty pharmaceutical company before the pandemic and next thing you know she's made 10,000 bucks. I've currently made like 600 bucks off of steel. It's kinda fun. And also very obsessive.