forum Written languages for a species that has no arms
Started by @Mojack group
tune

people_alt 53 followers

@Mojack group

So I’m working on a world that has dragon related species (and subspecies) as the dominant species, and one of the stories I’m writing about based around wyverns…which do not have arms. So I have yet to decide on if I truly will attempt a written language, but I was wondering; how would a written language work for a species that has no arms?

Like one of the questions I have is; how would they write it? With their feet? Based on how I’ll be designing the claws, that doesn’t seem too practical given they have slightly curved claws, but I also figure I could have certain wyverns that clip their claws to write better, in sacrifice of having to adjust to other tools made for wyverns with..well, curved claws.

And I imagine holding a writing utensil in your mouth doesn’t seem too practical for seeing what you’re writing, either.

So please give me suggestions to how a written language could work for my wyverns!

Deleted user

try allowing them to use the tip of their tail! Maybe it could work as some form of thing that they dip into ink (or etc.) and write with!

@YukiSenoue group

try allowing them to use the tip of their tail! Maybe it could work as some form of thing that they dip into ink (or etc.) and write with!

this is a great idea. They could have some sort of "quill" in the tip of their tails that they use to dip in paint and write.

@Byakuren Houjuu Beta Tester

Wyverns actually do have arms, same as birds. They just developed into wings. In most depicitions of wyvern they have some type of claw hand connected to their wings (Similar to bats).