forum 1920s prohibition story here
Started by Joy Ramirez
tune

people_alt 23 followers

Joy Ramirez

I pretty much want to know more about flappers(what they called woman activists at the time) and illegal alcohol routes

@LudibrousLainey

Flappers were pretty much young women who pretty much did the opposite of everything that women in earlier history once did. They wore short dresses, had short hair (what was considered boyish), wild makeup, flirted a lot and hung around men more, and were big into women's rights (like the right to vote and such). A lot of slang was used as well to refer to alcohol (giggle-water) and the wild life (such as Blow for a wild party). Older women were scandalized by this new change, and a good majority of them tried to keep their daughters away from the wild partying that was so popular among the younger generation. A lot of the slang from the era also helps with figuring out what it was like
I don't know much about alcohol routes, but there's several wikipedia articles relating to it. Just look up prohibition, and there should be several results.
I hope that helped…

Joy Ramirez

Yes the flapper bit helped but it was the second part I truly needed help on
You see I already know of two routes and both are over sea and of the two of them there is only one I know specifics on one (it was called the Rum Row ) but I need to know more so I can familiarize myself into the dangers and land and begin to answer questions such as
Who would have attacked them and why?
who were the bootleggers who used these routes?
How far would they have to travel?
Where were the stops they had to take and how many?
What police forces would they encounter?
What would have happened if they met up with other rum runners? and so and so forth just pretty much which one would make the best story and allow the dangers I need to continue it in a historical fashion

I realize I could easily make something up but I like to stay true to the source material as much as possible and inter-war era (the time between the first and second world wars) is so often romanticized that I couldn't stand making one up one my own (though I did create my own gang and characters within the story)

Though I thank you greatly for the information on flappers, it will help flesh out one of my main characters in my story, the second bit is the information I truly need